sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

LIVE Jupiter GRS & transit obs 22:49 Friday

Rob

Out here now just starting to watch a transit of Jupiter with GRS dead planet center!!!. Ok full moon but seeing very good. the 200P & EP's are cooled and all looking good. the moon transit has just broken into the disc. The moon itself is diamond white pin point against the disc.

Anyone else observing now?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sure is colder tonight. I've now swapped eps from the 14mm 5000 UWA in my 2x Shorty barlow to my 6mm TMB.. great view in both, but the TMB as the edge. Cant see the white pin point moon now, just a super inky dot of the shadow.

My 102mm scope is not up to seeing Io against Jupiter's surface, but the shadow is distinct. I watched Io slide across the limb of jupiter but I could not follow it after that. Appalling seeing here - sometimes the image of Jupiter breaks up into seveeral bits! But in moments of clear seeing I can finally say I have seen the GRS - I can even see some of its orangey color and its oval shape.

sorry to here you seeing is bad.. but at least you have managed GRS..very red this year, a real treat. still watching the transit while sipping my red wine and listening to the mp3!!

Good work on what you saw though.

Had my partner's grandson lookng at jupiter earlier - he wasn't much impressed, sadly. But then I let him drive the goto and the focusser and that won him over. He was glued to the eyepiece after that. He was in bed before the GRS was easily visible, but i don't think he would have seen it anyway.

He discovered Tycho on the moon, which impressed him. But I think he thinks the crater is recent, as in last week recent!

forgive the typing - my fingers are numb!

Edited by Ags

My seeing is going to pieces - Jupiter is permanently shredded now, and the scope is dewing up. Really pleased I finally had a clear definite sighting of the GRS. for about three or four half seconds, Jupiter looked like an astrophoto. It was also amazing to watch Io actually move in front of Jupiter and then see the shadow appear. when my hands thaw out I will put a sketch in my log book. (Nothing like carol's sketches, by the way - just some scratchings with a pen).

I may go out again later tonight, but i'll find my fingerless gloves first. Fuh-reeezing!

Edited by Ags

You had a great session there, cloud or no cloud. Surely somebody else saw all this too? Or did we have it all to ourselves ;-)

Make it your own thats what I say.. thanks for staying with me. Make sure you get out there and grab what you can of Jupiter this year.. its very special.

Thanks again Rob