SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Yet another new boy

Stav_98

Hi Gazers, hope you're all well.

I'm always a little rubbish at these introductions but I'll give it a go! I'm a bit of a forum addict so I should be getting the hang of it now. :)

That's ^^ kinda cool!

My 'proper' name's Martin but I some how managed to get branded Stav by friends at college due to me being Greek on my mothers side. Thought I'd make that clear as some folk find it odd when I sign off posts with Mart ;)

So why am I here? Well I'm a man of a 1,000 want to do hobbies but have never really got around to starting any of them. Being in my early 30's now the rock 'n' roll lifestyle is calming down a little, especially with the impending arrival of our own little Roswell Junior in January. Photography (mostly motor sport) and guitars are two others but I've always been a big thinker about space, stars ... generally anything which is 'up'.

I've been battling to obtain business qualifications for the past 5 years and I recently decided to give the study a break. Well sort of any way. I'm a book freak, love learning so I thought I'd do something of interest as opposed to doing it because it's possibly a good move. I therefore recently signed up for a starters Astronomy Course with the Open University with a view in obtaining their cetificate in astronomy, if not a degree. Early days though...we'll see how things go!

In terms of telescopes etc, I recently obtained a big white thing with a stand and 'bits'. I couldn't tell you now what it is off the top of my head and I'm not too sure if it's any good. No doubt I'll be asking for some advice down the line. It is however massivel bulky so even if it is OK I'll probably look at getting something a little more compact. I've been doing a little reading and the Meade DS 2080 seems to be a half decent place to start without breaking the bank. If the interest continues I'd like at somepoint to combine the sky with my interest in photography.

Right I think I've rattled on enough for the time being. It's what being at work at 2245 on a Friday evening does to you...the joys of budget time!

Oh I live in Bucks UK by the way, right on the borders with Beds and Herts.

Cheers

Mart

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to sgl. Plenty of people will be able to advise on what kit you have and where you may want to go.

Be warned though, combining astronomy and photography can be frustrating and expensive - but it IS worth it!

Welcome.

Ant

Hi Ant,

Well I'm hoping I can make use of my EOS 30d as ... well I've been hit by the expense for that! I've got plenty of manipulation software but don't have anything for stacking images; well not specifically for Astrophotography.

I'll be digging the 'scope out this afternoon to see what's what. It's a beautiful clear day here at the moment. I might get lucky for this evening!

Mart

Archived