Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

jaymul

first scope,nexstar 4 se

hi everyone,never even looked at the moon with binoculars but felt an urge to go and buy a telescope,living in the city at the moment,would it be wise to travel a bit or will i get some decent sights from my garden.

cheers

james

HI from me - depends what your looking at. The moon pretty much shows the same wherever you are but for a lot of stuff you need to be somewhere dark.

ANyway welcome and congrats on your new purchase :)

Hi Jaymul and welcome to the group :)

It's a good idea to go to a dark site if you can - there's a lot more to see than you'd get in a light polluted city and you'd get a lot more satisfaction from the scope. Which scope are you getting?

Hi, i have a 4SE too - you can see lots of stuff with it. From light polluted areas, you can still see the moon, planets, clusters and double stars quite well. I'm looking at jupiter now, watching the red spot move accross its surface.

Hi James and welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on your purchase and it will provide you with a lot of fun. Wishing you clear skies for your future viewing!

James

Welcome to the forum, James.

I would say, get to a dark site if you can, but if you can't then get out wherever you are and observe anyway.

Some of my favourite astro moments have been when I am looking at an apparently-empty piece of sky from my light-polluted front garden and passers-by look at me as if I am crazy, then I let them have a look at the hundreds of stars in the eyepiece and get lots of "wows!" ... then I give them the spiel about streetlights and light pollution.

i've never had a better welcome on any forum like i've recieved here,

looking forward to my delivery

many thanks

james

Hi and welcome, I picked myself up a nexstar 6 se second hand for less than a brand new 4se a few months ago and I'm extremely happy with it. Celestron have really nice build quality you won't be disappointed