Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher EQ7 - on display at Photokina

NickH

If the mount is due out in summer 2011 then I would reckon these mounts as shown will be pre-production models and not prototypes so my bet is they will not change a great deal from the way they look now.... unless they get seriously delayed.

But it is going to be about price point and so far Synta have got that right in most cases.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just going back to the PE issue with cheaper mounts.

EQMod has a a great tool as part of the package which will accurately measure a mounts PE, and then apply a routine which compensates for it.

This works best in conjunction with pulse guiding as I recall.

But you have to ask, is it really such a big issue? I have spent hours and hours watching star movements and PE on my EQ6, without the PEC applied.

For me, and I suspect the greater majority of UK based imagers, the biggest issue which will have the greatest effect on image quality as affected by star bloat, is the seeing, and there aint a great deal you can do about that! Adaptive optics systems for the amateur are basic at best (still pricey) and can in no way compare to the pro systems which use a control laser to asses seeing and compensate.

For me, a huge leap forward would be a mount system that plugs directly into a PC/laptop, no need for adaptors and RS232 and all that gubbins :o

EQMod - without doubt the finest bit of software I haven't had to buy.

Just going back to the PE issue with cheaper mounts.

EQMod has a a great tool as part of the package which will accurately measure a mounts PE, and then apply a routine which compensates for it.

This works best in conjunction with pulse guiding as I recall.

But you have to ask, is it really such a big issue? I have spent hours and hours watching star movements and PE on my EQ6, without the PEC applied.

For me, and I suspect the greater majority of UK based imagers, the biggest issue which will have the greatest effect on image quality as affected by star bloat, is the seeing, and there aint a great deal you can do about that! Adaptive optics systems for the amateur are basic at best (still pricey) and can in no way compare to the pro systems which use a control laser to asses seeing and compensate.

For me, a huge leap forward would be a mount system that plugs directly into a PC/laptop, no need for adaptors and RS232 and all that gubbins :)

:o:headbang:

Nice post Tim

For me, a huge leap forward would be a mount system that plugs directly into a PC/laptop, no need for adaptors and RS232 and all that gubbins :o

Totally agree with you there TJ but as for direct connection it dosnt get any simpler than using a single FTDI USB lead, one cable, no adapters, remembers its COM port no matter what USB socket you plug into. I'm using it and it really dosnt get any easier than that.

Yes RS232 is really dated now and a logical step would be a straightforward USB port.....it doesent make sense to use RS232.

It does if you are running remotely. USB is really a consumer type interface and not designed to be rugged or even offer reliability over any distance. Good Old Ethernet would be the most ideal in my opinion.

Wayne.....

Yes RS232 is really dated now and a logical step would be a straightforward USB port.....it doesent make sense to use RS232.

In terms of reliability and simplicity you can't beat RS232. It's why it's still the standard for Audio Visual and other industrial automation. For AV kit anyway Ethernet is the next step, but even that has massive pitfalls and not something I'm comfortable moving to until there's no other option.

Everything that is running on RS232 is low speed, there is no advantage to moving to USB. The main problem is that PC's are moving away from it, but get a PCI RS232 card and you are laughing. For laptops it's harder of course but there are PC card options

RS485 is still used a lot in Industrial control situations, but other serial BUS systems have taken over a fair bit. CANBus, MODBus etc etc. These are unlikely though to find a niche in Astro gear as outside industry they are unknown quantities, even if they are proven systems. My cnc Lathes run PLC's with MODBus over Ethernet.

Ethernet on the other hand is still used a lot probably because of it's robustness and every pc supports it. Though many small system designers shy away from it probably as writing a TCP/IP stack from scratch seems a daunting task for a microcontroller with limited resources. I've witnessed this a few times now, but it should be easier in more recent years.

I'd be inclined to follow the lead of personal printers. They used to require parallel or serial cables, moved to USB, then offered ethernet and now provide wifi connections. It would be great to have a mount with a built in wifi - that controlled not only the mount's positioning and corrections but also supported all the other gubbins: cameras, dew heaters, filter wheels (and maybe the dome itself!)

I'd be inclined to follow the lead of personal printers. They used to require parallel or serial cables, moved to USB, then offered ethernet and now provide wifi connections. It would be great to have a mount with a built in wifi - that controlled not only the mount's positioning and corrections but also supported all the other gubbins: cameras, dew heaters, filter wheels (and maybe the dome itself!)

WIFI would have the potential to cause chaos at star party's :o

• 1 month later...

Dear George,

I'm the picture editor of Ciel et Espace in Paris - France. We saw your picture (http://www.astrocd.pl/forum/download/file.php?id=3336&mode=view) and we would like to use it in our next issue (January 2011) to talk about this new material. Could you please send me the high res if you are agree? We add a credit line (give me it too) near the picture.

Best regards

Franck Séguin

Ciel et Espace

Dear George,

I'm the picture editor of Ciel et Espace in Paris - France. We saw your picture (http://www.astrocd.pl/forum/download/file.php?id=3336&mode=view) and we would like to use it in our next issue (January 2011) to talk about this new material. Could you please send me the high res if you are agree? We add a credit line (give me it too) near the picture.

Best regards

Franck Séguin

Ciel et Espace

Love to help you out but its not my picture so I cannot give you permission, I think as riklaunim as stated that it originated on the forum he mentions.

You might be able to contact the copyright holder there.

• 5 months later...
Though many small system designers shy away from it probably as writing a TCP/IP stack from scratch seems a daunting task for a microcontroller with limited resources. I've witnessed this a few times now, but it should be easier in more recent years.

MatchPort already provide a UART-WIFI and many of the controller chips now provide ethernet integrated anyway - the same vendor usually supplies a stack as part of the kit..

Ethernet would be infinitely more preferable than RS232 or USB with one ethernet network connecting everything.

Archived