Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher EQ7 - on display at Photokina

NickH

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure a total re-write isn't necessary. Just an new control dll.

If Synta/Skywatcher attach any value to the benefit EQMOD support of their mounts then the way forward is simple. All they have to do is supply mounts, technical details of the mount control system (including protocol), and a contribution to cover development costs.

Without Synta/Skywatcher support then the problem will be finding those who are both capable and suitably motivated to set about reverse engineering the EQ7.

Perhaps if those showing interest in this new mount ask Skywatcher directly about EQMOD support then they just might consider opening up a dialog with the EQMOD developers (something that has yet to happen in nearly 4 years of EQMOD development).

Chris.

Coming from a software dev background, I didn't want to comment, but thought it was so..so glad you're confident on that one.

Supply of mount and tech details, once it's shipping, I may be able to speak to some people on that front, so keep in touch Chris

In terms of ROI on dev costs, what Craig Stark did with PHD was put up a paypal "would you like to donate" option, stick one of those up, and I'll be the first to donate, your software/project and effort is well appreciated by many, probably in fact ranking up there with PHD as an app which has transformed astronomy for the amateur.

I'd agree....even though I'm barely dipping my toe into what EQMOD can do for me, I can already see how it'll be the backbone of what I want to do.

The time and effort is hugely appreciated....I'd support....and pay for a t-shirt to wear to conference/star camps etc!

MOD rocks! (would insert rock on emocicon, but I'm on my phone!)

Michael

Second hand EQ6 market will be like the second hand Atik314L market soon...i.e. bouyant as everyone upgrades!

I'm not sure if there'll be a mass exodus from EQ6 owners to the EQ7 as they're fundamentally different mounts serving different markets. If it were something like an EQ6++ with direct drive, miniscule PE etc. etc., but with the same payload capacity then yes an exodus might happen over time.

It will of course depend on the price point. If it is in the same ball park as its likely competition (CGE Pro, Losmandy) then it will be providing a welcome alternative buying option for those requiring a 45kg payload, nothing more nothing less. If the price turns out to significantly undercut the competition, whilst still providing comparable performance, then it may usher in a new dawn. We'll just have to wait and see.

One question that I don't think anyone has raised yet is how heavy is this thing? The EQ6 is a fair old weight, so what's the EQ7 going to tip the scales at? I assume that it will break down into manageable chunks otherwise portability is going to be somewhat challenging.

Well - considering the next big upgrade I am thinking of is in the mount department - I can see my EQ6 being pushed out......... There is definitely a price / performance point above the EQ6 waiting to be filled - with a fair gap between the EQ6 and the AP900 / CGE pro - this would seem to fit in here by specs beautifully. Now lets wait for the price.......

Okay...so for Chris, I need to get on to Skywatcher about tech spec.. and for the rest of us, I need to get the schematics for the base of the mount head so that someone can machine up a pier adapter :-)...

with a fair gap between the EQ6 and the AP900 / CGE pro - this would seem to fit in here by specs beautifully.

In the states there's a fair gap between the AP900 and CGE pro, no idea why it's so expensive here. AIUI the CGE pro's not in the same league as the AP or Tak mounts.

I might just have to get two of these, attach a hammock between them and finally program an oscillating swinging motion for the EQ drives.

Ahhh, bliss :eek:

Genius...and control from a wireless rumblepad and EQMOD

;):D:D:D

:icon_salut::headbang::(

Perhaps if those showing interest in this new mount ask Skywatcher directly about EQMOD support then they just might consider opening up a dialog with the EQMOD developers (something that has yet to happen in nearly 4 years of EQMOD development).

You would have thought they'd have at least sent a thank you message to you guys as the EQMOD software is one of the big reasons why people choose to buy the EQ6.

Working with major multinationals for 16 years, you kind of understand why a Chinese company may not even be aware of EQMOD, they work in a bubble of engineering that may rarely see anything around it. Also, EQMOD retains much of its "cool" and mystique by being this "underground" project.

Anyway Chris, set up the paypal thing mate, and let's see how many of the fans of your product are willing to say thank you properly!

Well TBH I doubt I'd be buying anytime soon, I don't need the additional payload and any errors on the current mount guide out fine......I'd be just spending for spending's sake. Obviously a lot of ppl will want to keep up with the Jones :icon_salut:

I wouldn't want to buy the MK1 of any mount in any case.

EQ6 was the MK1 version...that was on launch week, and it's worked flawlessly since (barring the handbox IC's not liking -10c)

I don't think it's "jones" syndrome for many..in my case it's wanting to mount the C11 and the TMB at the same time, with a guidescope, so that I have the planetary/deepsky/widefield all ready to go.. with a mount that I can trust (and possibly afford), and that was until this week an AP1200 or nothing..

Looks like a monster! Lets hope it performs better than it looks! lol!

PE's never been an issue with it guided...:-)

Hmmm, that is just not true Nick. If you have spikey / noisey PE then you will end up making lots of corrections, which results in loss of detail and star bloat. EQ6's suffer from this as do CGE's. The major factor of the more expensive big mounts (apart from payload) is that the PE is smooth (and low)

Eddie

My guide graphs are pretty flat, and don't think that images have lost detail..though I have had issues with PHD and also with mis balancing in the past... but looking at the logs recently, corrections are minimal..maybe just got lucky with mine....that's what I meant. I know that the dithering between Nebulosity and PHD improved things of late (ran some tests and found the guides even better than the PHD/Art Capture combo).

You're right though in that a lower PE is always better, and one of the reasons I kept erring towards the AP1200 (that and load capacity), pin point stars is the ultimate goal for sure...and am not there yet...but then.. have you tried Faulkes South :-)... lol

Looks ....on the EQ7...I like it...loads, but yes, it HAS to perform and perform well, all things said and done that's the critical factor

Why is there nobody producing a low-PE replacement kit for the EQ6 in the UK?

Boutique Pierro-Astro' - Modification, kits et accessoires pour montures NEQ6, EQ6, HEQ5, Atlas, et Sirius EQG

Chrome's translation of that site is hilarious

Here is a new series of upgrade kits for mechanical mount EQ6 or Atlas. These kits are designed to improve the performance of your horse.

I would have said "beast" myself :icon_salut:

An interesting thread and bit of kit, I agree that this is not a replacement for the Eq6 and I doubt it will affect Eq6 sales. I can imagine those with obervatory set ups watching with interest for the first reviews of this mount, I for one will as the load capacity opens up a lot options for me personally and I expect others too.

The PE and accuracy at guiding aspect of the mount will make or break it, I wont be convinced with reviews where images are taken on it with short focal length telescopes, lets see how it copes loaded with an instrument 2000mm+ over a full cycle of the worm then I will decide.

Mark

My guide graphs are pretty flat, and don't think that images have lost detail..though I have had issues with PHD and also with mis balancing in the past... but looking at the logs recently, corrections are minimal..maybe just got lucky with mine....that's what I meant.

Mine's probably not an imaging EQ6, at least not at reasonable focal lengths, as the PE's quite choppy (the PEMPro graph is anything but flat!). Maybe a strip-down and rebuild would help, but it's fine for visual so i'm not that bothered. There are undoubtedly some very good EQ6's out there but there's an element of luck too, and part of what the big money gets you is guaranteed consistency (IIRC on the AP1200 they scrap any RA gear that's not better than 5" peak-to-peak).

My 1200GTO was 0.8" peak-to-peak PE with PEC enabled - 3.2" without.

My guide graphs are pretty flat,

Don't know about PHD but on maxim you can zoom in the scale for the errors so that the seeing fluctuations are plain to see - quite jagged! I don't like a scale that gives a flat graph since I like to know how much the seeing is effecting things. Does PHD give an RMS tracking error Nick, that gives a pretty good indication of tracking and guiding accuracy although I find with my EM200 it can range between 0.5 and 2 (on a really bad night) arc seconds

Mark's comments echo my own exactly. It would be nice to be able to mount my 2 main imaging scopes side by side which isn't possible at the moment. The performance of the Eq7 will need to be very good though if it is to replace the EM200.

Archived