Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What would you choose ?

vlebo

Hi Everyone.

I sort of came to a decision earlier to sell my Equinox 120 my Flextube 300p and the W/O ez touch and wait for the 14" Flextube GOTO to arrive and get one but recently I have been looking at keeping the Equinox 120 selling everything else and getting either one of these two so I can also use the 120 with the EQ6 pro.

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 250P DS OTA

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 300P DS NEQ6 PRO

I still like the idea of keeping my life simple and getting the 14" Flextube but I also like the idea of having the 120 and the 300 or the 250 on the EQ6 pro and giving myself a bit of a challenge.

Any thoughts or opinions to nudge me in the right direction will be appreciated.

Vlebo

I'd have thought an EQ6 would struggle with a 12 inch Newt even though it must be possible since they are packaged together. It wouldn't be my idea of a relaxing night at the EP though. Also you are going to be getting a lot of tube collisions, surely, if not on a pier?

Olly

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what mount would you say could cope with a 12" newt then?

I have an f5.3 12" OO dob that I'm thinking of mounting on a GEM in the not too distant future.

When you go above an EQ6, the prices seem to go sky high.

Thanks

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what mount would you say could cope with a 12" newt then?

I have an f5.3 12" OO dob that I'm thinking of mounting on a GEM in the not too distant future.

When you go above an EQ6, the prices seem to go sky high.

Thanks

Imaging or visual? Imaging, yes, sky high prices I would have thought. Gemini G42? It would be good to hear from someone who has tried a 12 inch on an EQ6. I won't be trying it myself unless we are bombarded by cries of 'no problem!'

Olly

I have a 12" on an NEQ6 and it does work - but only just. If there's any wind forget it. You can't use it with any other gear loaded because you just can't get the thing to balance - and that's with the counterweight extension bar and four counterweights. Visually it's great when it works but the wobble makes it tough to align easily.

I also have to use a 6 foot stepladder to use it. Which can be a little wobbly and I've come close to falling off many times.

I've decided to build/buy a dob mount for the 12" as I don't use it enough on the NEQ6.

Mark

COnsidering how few 300s seem to get sold a lot of them seem to turn up 2nd hand which seems to suggest its just too big. EQ mounted refelectors can be a big handful.

I guess it depends on are you having it in a static location like an Obs or does it have to travel about.

If I had a garden, and an obs (and a million quid while I am wishing) I'd go for a monster newt on an EQ mount but then I am mad :)

COnsidering how few 300s seem to get sold a lot of them seem to turn up 2nd hand which seems to suggest its just too big. EQ mounted refelectors can be a big handful.

I guess it depends on are you having it in a static location like an Obs or does it have to travel about.

If I had a garden, and an obs (and a million quid while I am wishing) I'd go for a monster newt on an EQ mount but then I am mad :)

I would be moving it in and out of the garage so maybe because of that and the news of incoming kit from steve ( 16" goto dob ) I may hang fire a bit. Thanks for the input.

Vlebo

Imaging or visual? Imaging, yes, sky high prices I would have thought. Gemini G42? It would be good to hear from someone who has tried a 12 inch on an EQ6. I won't be trying it myself unless we are bombarded by cries of 'no problem!'

Olly

Visual to start with, but who knows, maybe imaging in time.

Guess I'd best start saving.

Archived