Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Secondary mirror adjusters

Keithp

Just had to post something on these. Follow up to my post in supplier reviews regarding WDS Components.

I ordered 3 off of part number 8168-227. These are m4 thumb screws and are a perfect replacement for the secondary adjusters on my 250px.

The 25mm depth allows them to screw into the holder with about 5mm of free space before locking up against the mirror. At 18mm diameter there is enough space to adjust easily. Well okay I do have slightly thinish hands:rolleyes:

At just over a fiver including VAT and posting well worth it.:)

No more mucking about with an allen key and worrying about rounding off the slots.

Regards All

Keithp

should really have put a link in

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/products/Machine-Parts/Plastic-Hand-Knobs/WDS-8168-Thumb-Screw-240/

post-15528-133877485483_thumb.jpg

I like the look of these, should fit the Skyliner 200p too I suppose?

On skin stuff, the American Indians always rub animal fat into their skin (an outstanding one is lamb fat - it was the basis of the cure for my Aunt's acute dermatitis and eczema), and that Neutrogena is brilliant stuff too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Keithp! :(

I've just recieved the new M4 screws from WDS Components. And I have finally fitted them on my 300P Dob.

WOW!!!! Collimating is so much easier now, with no tools needed and saved many beer tokens along the way.

Well Done KeithP what a brilliant idea mate! :(

• 1 year later...

I fitted the WDS thumbscrews some time ago on my 200p and fitted the washer between them and the secondary mirror holder. I recently changed the steel washer to one cut from a milk carton. I find it gives even smoother adjustments.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Sorry, reviving this thread again!

Does anybody know if these M4 thumb screws will fit the 150p as well?

If they are the same dimensions as bobs knobs (which is what is suggested) then they should fit skywatcher's from 5-12".

• 3 months later...

Hmm, I tried ordering three thumbscrews from WDS only to find they expect you to make a minimum £50 first order, I certainly don't need £50 worth of screws etc, how did you other guys manage to make a small order?

I have bought from here before http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M4x30mm-Male-Thread-Black-Knurled-Thumbscrew-Grip-Knob-/221023105247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337600f0df

I tend to buy M4 female knurled nuts / knobs and then cut a bolt to length for any scope I fit these to. I then use araldite to ensure it stays put. That works out a lot cheaper. I got 15 heads for about £7 recently from the same supplier but they don't seem to have any now. Just keep checking, you can always replace the grub screw with a standard or cap head bolt in the meantime which will also be pretty much tool free.

Thanks for the link Moonshane, unfortunately they only ship to the US (according to the T&C on the page) I am UK., however I did manage to find some M5 thumbscrews on Ebay for a mere £2.50 inc postage, as these are just for holding the back plate/cooling fan in place, a quick redrill and tapping is all that is required to make them fit for purpose.

Thanks again!.

If you scroll down the page a bit to the T&C this is what it says:

Terms and Conditions:

Shipping & Handling:

We ship to US only.

I did see the other reference as well:

Postage: Free - Standard Int'l Shipping

They seem uncertain as to what their policy actually is, at least as far as the page goes anyway, hence I decided on the other set., Nevertheless, I appreciate very much your link and reply, thanks again!

Archived