Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Stephen Greenfield

Solar imaging beginner

As posted elsewhere converting an old 4.5inch newtonian for solar work and hopefully some imaging.

WHat is better the Baader film or the Glass filters that go for around £70 on ebay. How about any other filters to bring out solar detail?

Go for the Baader Solar Film Filter and either a green eyepiece filter or the more expensive Baader Continuum filter - they enhance the contrast in white light.

just a little sample of what a 4.5" f/8 Newt can do with just the Baader Solar Safety filter.

themos-albums-4-5-f-8-newtonian-picture5136-sunspot-1072-2010-may-23-13-43-ut-baader-solar-filter-4-5-f-8-newt-tv-2-5x-toucam-740k-5fps-200-frames-registax5.png

I have an ED80 that I want to 'convert' for solar viewing/photo use. It is my intention to use the Bader Film mounted in a ring to sit inside the dewshield.

My question is. In order to avoid getting any pinholes in the film would it be in order to mount the film between two sheets of suitable glass, presumably with a small air gap? and would it need to be optically flat glass.

Edited by Macmarch

I've been using the Baader Film for over ten years on various telescopes and have never found a pin hole after proper installation.

You certainly don't want to use any glass protection plates!

Although it may look flimsy it's well designed for the job.

Just mount it into a suitable holder and enjoy!

Ken