Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Complete Newbie - Present HELP!?

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a telescope for my other half in two weeks. I have been researching and frankly have no idea what I'm looking for now!

My budget is £150 (although it would be great to not spend it all), the point is to indulge him in star gazing so that he can see and learn to locate stars, nebulae, deep space objects, look at the moon in some detail as well as other planets and generally explore til his hearts content.

It wouldn't be moved around too much. But I've already been confused completely by the mount spec! help much appreciated!!!:)

Take a look at our sponsors site (click on the FLO logo at the top of the page), something like the Skywatcher 130 Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130 or if you can afford a little extra the 130M (it has a motorised mount) Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130M. These scopes get excellent reviews, and many on these boards have started with them.

Also, give Steve at FLO a call, he will advise you accordingly and certainly wouldn't sell you something unsuitable.

Steve

Thank you so much and I really am still going to buy him one. However, I had a little look around and have read this article

Sky Publishing - How to Start Right in Astronomy

which is perfect for those of us newbies jumping onto the bandwagon before getting enough info.

So I'm now aiming for one for his xmas pressie - more time and hopefully more money to spend on one (once i know how dedicated he'll be) wish me luck in convincing him its the better route to go down!!

The thing that gets a newbie about eq mounts is the way you have to swing them round and tube rotate. I'm becoming more of a dob fan for beginners...or mak for portability.

Make sure you budget 20quid for a book like Turn Left at Orion just so you have a few targets to look at.

Archived