Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

'ghost image' when cleaning an eyepiece

Moonshane

I have found out that cleaning an eyepiece after a night of observing is not a brilliant idea. No disasters or anything but after cleaning I had a look and could see this roughly triangular white 'ghost' section, like a smudge on the inside of the eyepiece.

hmmm.....I think, that's worrying. So I go to a bright light to check it and yes it's still there! Only this time I realise it's my own reflection in my white T shirt!! What a muppet. :)

So, don't clean your eyepieces when

a) your brain is addled

2) you are wearing a white T shirt.

;)

Having wrecked the coatings on a very nice TAL 25mm eyepiece once, I always wait until I'mm fully awake before attempting delicate stuff like that :)

You want to get the Baader micro-fibre matt black t-shirt - only £49.99 from FLO :p

I think they do underpants in the same material ......... ;)

excellent new John cheers! I need a new outfit for delivering the Milk Tray too and that will do the trick nicely. I think we've all done stupid things with regard to gear, it's a case of learning from them and not making the same ones over and again I s'pose!

it is Paul - it's a long story originating in another thread - it was a case of a method working well for one which wasn't believed by others - stick to what works for you I say! the comment was sarcy I reckon and aimed at others I think! :) at least I think that what Llamanaut meant - and the above explains my somewhat weird reply ;):D

i nearly snorted hot coffee down my nose.... moonshanes got it spot on... im still using mr muscle to clean all my optics with no side effects whatsoever while the cleaning nazis still insist on tepid evian water baths and wafting it dry with hummingbirds wings, please dont use 240 grade on your lenses (use 600 instead)

i nearly snorted hot coffee down my nose.... moonshanes got it spot on... im still using mr muscle to clean all my optics with no side effects whatsoever while the cleaning nazis still insist on tepid evian water baths and wafting it dry with hummingbirds wings, please dont use 240 grade on your lenses (use 600 instead)

what???? I thought it was Volvic? will my optics be OK?

I had the same experience - one of my Tele Vues had a circular white smudge on it when I held it up to the light and I could not get rid of it, not even with a brillo pad :)...

Turned out to be a hanging white & silver fabric comet hanging from the ceiling behind the light one of my kids made for a space project..

Archived