Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observation notes / logs

In an effort to become a more organised and generally better observer i've decided I really need to start making notes during each session!

Is there some standard templates I can use or am I just being ultra lazy?!

What do you usually include in your notes?

Ive thought long and hard about my observing log and i have refined the info to what i think is useful.... here's an extract from my logbook

IMG.jpg

The square above left is a printout from Nightcal and shows moon phase and libration angle, date, any conjunctions, astronomical twilight, moonrise and set and sunrise and set. The actual log page shows session number, start and finish time, location, weather conditions, transparency, seeing and Bortle dark sky scale. Ive recently started recording session start and finish temperature and humidity. Finally The scope in use is added. The text is a breakdown of what i did, what i saw, what i used, whats targets if any, any problems and anything unusual that happened. Ive been maintaining my log in this way pretty much since i restarted astronomy back in April and its interesting to see what standard i was up to then and how my knowledge and skills have increased. Its also brought home how pants the summer has been for observing. Hope this helps

Archived