SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Second light...it worked!

msinclairinork

woooohoooo!!! so chuffed it all worked last night! I took all your advice from my first light disaster and got it callibrated, focuesed and setup during the day and waited for a break in the clouds to grab some star fields and played around with exposures.

Managed to get 2 minuite exposures without star trails for a while but that didn't last, it ended up around 60 seconds. But I was still grining from ear to ear :p

So with all the clouds around, trees, and one really bright moon and my telrad unusable due..to..due...:)

I went for the easiest target up their i think...The Pleiades. I knew I wouldn't capture all that whispy nebulostiy and I didn't bother with difraction threads or anything nor did I even bother with flats, darks or bias frames...I was just having a good time watching it all working, plus the clouds were being a pain. That will all be for another night where the conditions are perfect.....CAN'T WAIT!!

So after ending my imaging run of just 17 subs @ 90 seconds. Which 11 of them were duff due to trails and clouds, and the final 6 weren't great either shouldn't of gone for 90 seconds. looked ok on the screen but when I opened them in Registax with that 100% view you really see the problems them...lesson learnt.

Anyway I know this is upside down, wrong way around, inside out, under exposed, photoshope too.. and just generaly rubbish but.......I DON'T CARE :D just so pleased that my imaging career has finaly started :)

Learn't loads too, can't wait for the next clear night!

Thanks to all for your help and support thus far, so this ones for you guys! ;)

Cheers,

Michael

post-19381-133877484624_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys, it is an amazing feeling!

Thanks Olly will give that ago, This was just a quick process, weather isn't looking good for the rest of the week so I will have some fun playing around with this.

Dave- Yea just misted up, going to invest in a dew shield, it was fine for a good hour but i think a dew shield should do the trick.

Cheers,

Michael

Congrats Michael, you're off to a fly start. Really nice clear round stars!

It's an amazing feeling when it comes together and you see the image pop on the screen. Words can't describe it. :)

Instead of buying a dew shield get a cheap camping mat (you can get them from supermarkets etc for about £7) and cut it to the right size. I've done exactly this with my scopes and it works a treat. Use the width of the mat and cut enough to wrap around the scope then add a little duct tape to keep it in shape. Save's a few quid for the next filter/coma corrector/[fill in this space will the next gizmo] ;)

Mark

Here is my re-work, don't know if it is any better. I don't think there is much data in this to be worked but it's fun to have an image to play with that is mine for a change.

Lots of photoshopping going on here probably more that i should of but its all a learning process. croped and roatated it the right way around this time and added some diffraction spikes and a frame for fun.

Sudgestions and tips very welcome. But i think we all know this was never going to be a great image, WAY to noisy, did this at ISO 1600 and only 6 useable subs and no darks or anything like that.

Anyway still on a high so here's my post :)

post-19381-133877484647_thumb.jpg

Okay, much better colour and lovely sharp, round stars. To find out if you have any of the fainter nebulosity you need to apply a non linear stretch. Some packages have log stretch or in Ps you can do it by hand in curves. The idea is too boost what is faint without boosting what is bright.

Olly

MARKF- Thanks mate! very happy bunney now. Yea weather is not looking good just now ;) and i'm back to sea for a month soon. fingers most defently crossed!.

Slippery- Yes this is not a cheap game is it?! Need an obbsy though! and pack it with some nice big scopes and of course a top notch SBIG one day! :)

Thanks.

Michael

Awesome first go :) My first go with more subs wasn't even as good as that ;)

I recommend once you've gotten a single sweet image just doing a whole heap of them and go for an hour's worth of subs. Stack 'em in deep sky stacker and look up "stretching the histogram" (I used Photoshop for this). It all then starts to come together :p

Archived