Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Were All Doomed!

About 2 billion years from now, M31 is going to collide with the Milky Way!

Heard Chris Linott (SP?) say about it this morning on GMTV when he was talking about his new book)

Quitw cool that, shame I will be long gone!

Kain

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 2 billion years from now, M31 is going to collide with the Milky Way!

Its worse than that dude, apparently the sun is going to get so many degrees hotter every 100 million years, so mother earth probably won't be habitable by then - I saw this on tv recently but I can't remeber which program it was - anyone see the same show?

I think it was a program on BBC4 specifically about the sun.

I saw a "10 ways the earth will end" program which sounds similar. Meteor, global warming, the sun exploding, alien invasion etc etc

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that, the one about solar storms affecting the earth was quite scary.

Having said that, every time I see one those shows i think to myself, hang on, life has been on this planet for

billions of years and in all that time nothing has been so catastrophic as to wipe it out.

Surely mother earth has been there and done that by now.

Of course,its also possible that we are the luckiest gits in the entire universe!

Ok, a couple of things here.

First, the Sun will begin expanding into a red giant in about 300,000,000 years. By 600,000,000 years, the Earth will be engulfed and all life will have ceased here. Dr. Mitzi Adams of the Marshall Space Flight Center gave a talk on this subject in 2002. You may try googling her for a paper or two on solar evolution.

There was a program on the Sun "exploding"? Did they actually say that word? The Sun doesn't have enough mass to explode, so that one's a no go. Of course, if they mentioned alien invasion as a danger to life here, it may be a clue. :insects1:

I agree with TBF about the tenacity of life, but since life began, there have been a number of major extinction events. Five in all, if I remember correctly. Each of which anhiilated over half the global population, and forever changed those that remained. I wouldn't count it out in the future.

Just my tuppence worth.

I think the chance of intelligent life being destroyed is quite high, but I think the chance of all LIFE being destroyed to be almost zero, even in the most cataclysmic event there will still be some microbes left deep in the earths core, and from there intelligent life can attempt to re-evolve

First, the Sun will begin expanding into a red giant in about 300,000,000 years...

I'm reading this as three hundred million years - I thought the red giant thing was 5 thousand million years hence.

Besides that , there was definitely a tv program saying that the sun will get hotter anyway - nothing to do with

red giganticism.

I agree, Gordon. Life is extremely tenacious. I didn't say all life would be extinuished, at least until we're engulfed by the Sun, but there's a great chance larger life forms will buy it, due to any of a number of factors, (aliens probably not one of them). It's happened before, it'll happen again. Some say mammals wil go and insects will survive to become the next dominant life form.

That's right, TBF-300 million years, the Sun begins to expand. It will exhaust its hydrogen fuel in 5 billion years, give or take fifty. By that time, it'll be an exposed white dwarf, with maybe a whif of the planetary nebula hanging about. The Sun is due to undergo a helium flash in about 3.5 billion years which will light up the hydrogen atmosphere it'll expell in 1.5 to 2 billion years. The nebula will last maybe 50,000 years after that. I've heard the Sun-getting-hotter scenario, but never heard a decent mechanism for it. :scratch: I expect it'll wax and wane as it likes, activity-wise, so that may be a possibility.

As long as it lasts untill 2075, I'll be fine, since with my luck, I'll live to be 120.

It will exhaust its hydrogen fuel in 5 billion years, give or take fifty.

I've seen a quite a few programs on TV over the years that said the sun begins to expand because its

exhausted its supply of hydrogen. Has current thinking changed ?

I think the chance of intelligent life being destroyed is quite high, but I think the chance of all LIFE being destroyed to be almost zero, even in the most cataclysmic event there will still be some microbes left deep in the earths core, and from there intelligent life can attempt to re-evolve

I agree, and it makes me think of Mars and the possibility of microbes surviving in some small pocket or hibernating hoping for warmer times in the future.

That's right, TBF-300 million years, the Sun begins to expand. It will exhaust its hydrogen fuel in 5 billion years, give or take fifty.

just checked out the wikipedia entry on red giant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_giant

the top right side panel also suggests that the sun expands because its lost its supply of hydrogen, it says

When the Sun has exhausted its supply of hydrogen to fuse it will swell into the Red Giant phase.

so I'm not sure where the 300 million year thing comes from, Astroman

Everytime I log onto SGL, I'm greeted with this subject at the top of the screen, its imbedded itself into my sub conscious and I'm starting to think 'We're all doomed' :?

Caz :D

(homes in on everything negative :D)

• 1 month later...

Archived