Narrowband

UHC filter on an unmodded DSLR

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no knowledge of camera modding other than to say that it's not for me!

However I do use narrowband filters quite a lot on a sensitive mono CCD at a dark site and I have to say that short subs are not the way. I'd just worry that all this effort won't give much result. Of course I don't know this but, given that I like to use 15 minute subs for Ha even at f5 or f4, I wonder what very short subs will really give?

Personally I'd just be looking into mono CCD (second hand) and an autoguider which, at the risk of upsetting Nadeem, I just regard as one of those things you must have.

If you are light polluted a mono CCD will sing in a high clear voice. Small chip? Do a mosaic. With your gain in signal you can work fast enough to do several panels for the price of one through a Bayer matrix onto a DSLR chip.

I hope I'm not sticking my nose where it's not wanted so do feel free to tell me to CCD off!!

Olly

Archived