home made 4 1/2in dob

Wbarkingmad

I just wondered if anyone fancied a look at my back-to-basics 4 1/2in reflector on a home made dob mount. The OTA is branded Topic (Japan) and dates from the mid 70s. It was given to me with an appalling tripod. In an effort to make it usable I decided to make a new mount and attempted to follow the original principles of a basic dobsonian. The ground board is a piece of worktop and the rest of the wood is half inch ply offcuts. The azimuth guides are two halves of an old aluminium record player platter. All the bearings are PTFE blocks or bushes. The odd thing sticking out of the top of the OTA mounting is a counterweight. With no additional friction the tube holds precisely whatever position you put it in. There is an adjustable friction dapmer too. The finder scope came off my 8 inch SW dob (swapped for a 90° finder - much better). The only issue is the 0.965in eyepieces but an adaptor is being considered to allow 1.25in EPs to be tried. It is now off to help introduce a newcomer to astronomy.

post-20839-133877484376_thumb.jpg

post-20839-133877484378_thumb.jpg

post-20839-133877484381_thumb.jpg

Hi, my first scope was a 4 1/2" newtonian on a wobbly EQ mount,

but this mount looks much more stable :)

In spite of the dodgy mount, I did find Halley's Comet (eventually!)

These very portable scopes get a lot of use as they are no hassle

to set up & use.

Good luck to the new user, Ed.

Archived