SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How do you wire a pc fan for cooling

Hi

Got a pc fan for cooling my dob. The fan has 3 wires red,black,yellow Now I'm no stranger to wiring and established in my mind reds + blacks - the yellow is something to do with the pc monitoring fan speed. But I can't get the thing to come to life :)

I have tried my SW supatrak power supply to power the fan and even tried a 12v mains transformer with no joy.

Anyone out there that can help

Just google "PC fan wiring", if you don't get the result you want try using the fan type / manufacturer / model number, the answer will be there some-where

Pin

Function

Wire Color

Ground

Black

+12 V

Red or yellow

Fan Speed Sensor

Yellow, white or green

PWM Control

Blue

Sounds like the fan is dead!! I usually try playing with a "square" 9v battery - just touch the wires onto it until the thing bursts into life and spins in the right direction!

I then invariably get silly and cover it with a sheet of paper to make a hovercraft!!!

Bizibuilder is correct, if it is hooked up correct then try flicking it round with your finger in case it's sticky as I have seen this a couple of times (you don't say if it is new or re-cycled).

If it still doesn't play then it's U/S, just bin it and buy anover

Bizibuilder is correct, if it is hooked up correct then try flicking it round with your finger in case it's sticky as I have seen this a couple of times (you don't say if it is new or re-cycled).

If it still doesn't play then it's U/S, just bin it and buy anover

It's a new fan. I've sent it back for a replacement so got some more waiting to get it sorted. I'm using a Gelid fan speed control with it so I'm unsure if I have to use the yellow wire? Don't know how thats gona happen when there's only a +/- on the battery

Archived