Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

ollypenrice

PixInsight - a rant!

Most Mac users are perfectly capable of coping with a Windows interface and would probably find it more straightforward than the current one :)

James

Well, rant or not I love the DBE tool and have posted an old M33 reprocessed from scratch after applying it to the linear RGB component. Damnably impressive and it made to processing easy. So no instructions but a powerful tool.

Olly

SO, Olly, was it intuitive/easy to use or did you just play until you found a solution?

Peace :)

Harry

Oh BTW just to say pixinsight will run on a mac / pc / linux 32 bit or 64 bit there is a version for all

Well, rant or not I love the DBE tool and have posted an old M33 reprocessed from scratch after applying it to the linear RGB component. Damnably impressive and it made to processing easy. So no instructions but a powerful tool.

Olly

Harry

A serious question....

Is there still a need for PS when using PI? If yes, will PI develop to eliminate that need do you think?

I need to invest time in my (sadly lacking) processing skills and of course wish to invest my time wisely :) and judging by comments here and elsewhere, PI seems to be the way to go.....

I've been using Pixinsight for just over a year now, I don't think I've ever even thought to look for a manual, I started with Harry's tutorials and moved on from there, filling in gaps and learning new techniques using tutorials from the website and forums. Frankly it's been a much easier process to pick up that using Iris was.

I would like a more integrated workflow type tool for image calibration though, making masters is more work than it needs to be.

Edited by tmarkuk

Hi

I personaly use Pixinsight for 99% of my processing and if you do have photoshop I would not bother :p

Pi still needs a few tools and I think probabley a layer type tool is what some peole are waiting for , and it is on the list to be done .

I personaly think the supposed difficulty of PI is over stated , I mean olly got DBE working in a few hrs :).

As said there is a free 45 day trial , give it a go

Regards Harry

Harry

A serious question....

Is there still a need for PS when using PI? If yes, will PI develop to eliminate that need do you think?

I need to invest time in my (sadly lacking) processing skills and of course wish to invest my time wisely ;) and judging by comments here and elsewhere, PI seems to be the way to go.....

It'll be a while before I abandon Ps having learned so much about it but I'm not from the 'click and see' generation. I learn slowly that way, hence my rant!

Olly

So... PixInsight or Nebulosity 2?

I already have Photoshop CS5 for work (I'm a photoshop newbie) and could probably justify adding PixInsight or Nebulosity to my collection.

Does Nebulosity have the same automatic background extraction (i.e. "don't worry about taking flats") feature that PixInsight has?

Because if I can get away without having to stretch my torchlit underpants over the front of my telescope at 3am, I'd go with whatever tool saves me having to take the damn flats.

automatic background extraction will not negate the need for correctly taken flats. You need them to take out dust shadows and fixed pattern noise.

Dennis

I've just registered the commercial version. I visualize the program as a group of very powerful interrelated modules & that helps me to get my head around it. I find the lack of a manual not too frustrating as I can find good tutorials on the internet. I find MaximDl more confusing that PixInsight TBH I think both products would benefit from a good manual & tutorial but understand that this is harder with PixInsight & Maxim has a simply awful documentation & help- at least you get good tool tips with PixInsight. So I guess we pay our money & take our pick!

Edited by pyrasanth

Excellent program -you are bound to be drawn in - even if you were to stick with DBE its very impressive but agree difficult to get comfortable with processing - probably my age but have had to watch Harry's excellent video tutorials many times! -best wishes Tony

it took me a long time to get a robust workflow together for PI, and Harry's videos were essential for the learning process (thank you Harry :grin: ), but now that I've got a process I'm comfortable with, and with continuous experimentation have been able to dig deeper into every stage, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yes, there should be a basic guide - even the interface is difficult to understand without some explanation - so a guide for a basic work process would be a good thing.  I think I would forgive them for not having good documentation for every process though, since some of them are really cutting edge innovations - as I understand it, TGV Denoise for example had only been looked at previously in a couple of academic papers and we get a working tool using it, and it is very good !

+1 for a layer tool - I find I use the same pixelmath over and over to fade in effects - a* opacity +b * (1 - opacity)

I use PI for about 95% of my processing - I'll only go into PS (and I only have the PS Elements) to make a high-pass filter since that's still my preferred sharpening, or for making a specific mask with the lasso tools