1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

HEQ5, NEQ6 and CGEM

dmahon

I haven't even bought anything yet (other than some webcams and a pair of binos) and I am suffering with upgrade fever already! My list (for imaging) had started with an ED Pro and now I have talked myself up to an Equinox instead. If SkyWatcher did the APO Triplet that Orion has started selling, I would probably be considering that. My Canon 1000D has turned in to a 500D and I've also noted down a couple of rather expensive EP's for when I want to take a little peek.

I had started my list with an HEQ5 Pro and now I am considering the NEQ6 Pro and also the Celestron CGEM.

What's the difference between the NEQ6 and the CGEM? Is Celetron's Polar Alignment feature worthwhile?

Is the NEQ6 worth the extra £170? Should I spend yet another £120 on top of that for the CGEM? The mount will only be supporting an Equinox 80, camera equipment and, in future, a small guidescope. Is the extra on the mount a waste of money?

I have an NEQ6 mount and it is a dream. At the moment it only carries a 102mm f8.8 refractor which is well below it's capacity but it runs smoothly and accurately. One big advantage of EQ mounts is the ability to run EQmod software which is a HUGE bonus so you don't really need the handset.

Dave

If you're just starting I'd possibly consider a 1000d and spend the extra getting it modded, rather than a 500d. The EQ6 is a great mount for the price. You can avoid the PRO option if you get an EQDIR module and drive it direct from a laptop. The polar alignment feature on the CGEM is useful if you don't have a direct view of Polaris, but you can use drift alignment as an alternative. Have you considered the Meade 5000 APO triplet?

• 8 months later...

I know this thread is getting on a bit now but I was just interested on where you've got with your decision making process? I'm currently where you were back in September last year - i.e. Have just purchased a used 110mm Megrez F5.9 APO and am mulling over which mount to get for both GoTo visual and AstroPhotography. I was leaning towards the CGEM but this has risen in price again recently and am unsure as to the benefits of this mount over the (slightly) cheaper NEQ6 Pro Synscan?

Let me (us) know how you got on, and if purchased, what you've selected and how you're getting on with it... :)

Gary

Gary - you may want to look over on Cloudy Nights site - there is an interesting (?!?!) thread regarding the CGEM (search CGEM in the mounts section).

I want the CGEM, for the all star alignment process, if Skywatcher did similar on the NEQ6 i'd go for that.

Now that's just not helping!

Excuse me if I don't reply for a while, I'm just off to see how much the best deal on a Meade 5000 APO triplet is and whether I can stretch my budget yet again.....

Just to add to the confusion:D:

And then there is the APM/TS 80mm F/6 Triplet. Really nice, better focuser than the Meade.

The CGEM is very good, apart from the one I had was a Super Lemon. One thing I would say about it, the Goto alignment was absolutly Fabulous Much beter then the Synscan. However you would need to buy a polar scope for it as one does not get supplied, nor does it illuminate like the NEQ6 one. If you can afford it change the mount saddle to an ADM verson, as the one supplied is a bit naff.

Nadeem.

Edited by Deneb