Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Panaview 26mm/32mm?

I'm a bit puzzled which one to get for my next EP purchase (even though it may be a while away).

The next EP in my collection is a 17mm Hyperion so there is quite a gap to a 32mm, so should I opt for the 26mm? or is the 32mm such a real winner as it seems to raved about? Will the gap really matter?

steve

17mm Hyperion in your LB 10" = 73x / 1.08 deg FoV

32mm Panaview = 39x / 1.8 deg FoV

I don't think there is a gap that really needs to be filled there.

I have 13mm + 20mm + 31mm EP's with a similar scope and frequently skip the 20mm.

I have a 32mm EP for wide field work, and it's great for clusters and just hunting around, it gives the clearest/brightest views of all my EP's.

Once I'm happy with the view and centralised the object in the EP, you can either use a Barlow X2 or switch to your other EP.

I prefer a wide view EP just for eye relief if nothing else.

I am beginning to feel the same way about this as I have a 35mm and a 24mm Panoptic and the 24mm is now getting to the point where it's not used that often - I regularly go straight from the 35mm to the 13 Ethos. I kind of feel that I SHOULD have something in between but it's more at the higher mag end that I feel I should spend my money on more eyepieces if anywhere as a few mm can make a massive difference in magnification at that end.

I am currently agonising about whether or not to change the 24mm Pan for a 22mm Nagler which will give a bit more (but not much more) field and contrast than the 24mm but I am beginning to conclude it's no worth it and I should retain what I have and possibly even just sell the 24mm Panoptic but I might regret this.

In short, I'd agree the 32mm is probably the better one and you almost certainly won't feel a gap is there.

Mine still is - it gives beatiful views of wide open objects. Even with the nutty Explore Scietific in the kitbag I still tend to use the 38mm Panaview the most.

OK it has some technical issues (ie it suffers slightly from coma/astigamatism in a fast scope like the F5 but to be honest you'd have to be a real whinger to really notice it) but the widefield contrasty views are beautiful.

I am being honest here - I actually prefer it to the Explore Scientific - its a much more comfotable view, more engaging I find for wide field.

Darkly - you'd probably find a 40mm a waste of time - I tried it a few months ago as a tester. It doesnt really give anyting extra I found.

Darkly - you'd probably find a 40mm a waste of time - I tried it a few months ago as a tester. It doesnt really give anyting extra I found.

Thanks, it was just an idea - too much of a good thing :)

Nice glass of brandy and I can spend hours just aimlessly 'scoping' around with the Panaview, the 'perception' of starfield depth is something else IMHO :)

Archived