Narrowband

my first saturn pic

scotty365

Well Ive tried many times to get an image ov saturn - this one is with just the toucam alone. I have tried so many different settings I dont know what I did exactly to get this. I simply stacked the images and little else.

I could do with a more in depth instuction on imaging and also about filters.

If I used a Oxy III can I do without an IR filter or do I really need both? I dont really understand which and when different filters need to be used.

Scotty

post-13108-133877324038_thumb.jpg

Oxy3 filter is for nebulae, not for planets (officially) but what the hey, it might work out well. I'd be surprised if it did though. OIII light is generated when stray oxygen molecules get a beating from radiation coming from a nearby (powerfull) source of energy, Saturn isn't made of oxygen, nor is it being badly zapped by a fierce heavy -duty star.

An IR block filter would help sort out some of the bluriness, as the IR part of the light is out of focus when the visible bit is well focussed, so you can't have both in focus at the same time. As the Toucam can see both visible and IR light you are almost certain to get blurry images without the IR block filter. You can use an IR pass filter instead, but that would get you a monochrome image which would be marginally sharper than the colour image, but only the red channel would show anything.

The cheap answer is to use the IR / UV blocking filter to get a sharper image, the more expensive answer is to use the IR / UV block filter to get the colour information, then use an IR pass filter to get a high quality monochrome detail image and use Photoshop to combine the two.

Captain Chaos

Thanks for the info, that was most enlightening - Im reading up on so much stuff and I cant prioritise it much at this point. Im definatley heading down the imaging path now, I had a feeling I would when I started out way back in october! I think the I/R-U/V filter is next on the list of purchases and I'll have to learn abit more about imaging other stuff before I invest anymore for now.

Scotty

Scotty

Invest in a decent 2x barlow as well - Orion Shorty Plus or Celestron Ultima. The basic ones you have listed will be run-of-the-mill achro's and won't do anything to improve your image!

I'd go with th2 2x first off as this will be your most versatile barlow as well.

A good first start - you should be pleased with your efforts :)

Archived