Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Possible earthing issue?

MG1

Hi guys,

I was out last night for first time in a while as we get back into the swing ready for Kielder and I noticed a weird sensation when I touched ant metal part of my setup.

It was a kind of buzzy feel. Can't describe it but just feels electrical?!?

I've never had it before and last night we set up at my inlaws. Could this be a fault in the earth in my setup or might it indicate an issue with their leccy supply?

Either way, I was a little worried about the old sensitive electronics.

Any thoughts welcomed and I've love to hear if anyone else has ever had similar.

Cheers

Michael

The fact that you can 'feel' a bit of leccy would tend to indicate a possible earthing problem. Probably a slightly 'loose' connector. The most likely cause is damp. A little moisture will allow tracking. Ensure that wherever a cable enters a plug or socket that the gap has a little sealer around the cable. Take them indoors and give a bit of tlc and warmth before sealing.

Thanks Macmarch. The wierd think is that even what I turn off the transformer, the feeling is there. It's only when I unplug it that the 'wobble' stops. :)

I'm going to have a play this afternoon and see if I can get to the bottom of any loose connections.

Cheers

Have you any form of voltage controller? These have large value capacitors in them that can take a while to discharge. If you have a moisture leakage path somewhere then this will give the feeling of persistence. IF the problem lies in the transformer then you need to get an earth leakage check done. (A PAT tester will do it.)

I tried it in a different socket (in the garage) and it was fine...made me wonder if that means it's something wrong with the socket earth?

Am going to get a spark to look it over. Thanks for your thoughts.

Yeah. All hooked up to a camping power block with integral RCD MCB. Funny think is I notice a similar thing lots of places. Tingle on jens MacBook when that's charging and I know our earthing is good at home as we had a new distribution board, rewire and complete test last year.

Strange.

Thanks guys

M

Archived