SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Uranus 16th September

astroman001

Seeing was awful, so instead of imaging Jupiter, I found Uranus a few degrees above and imaged that instead. The red channel was very faint, I was at 1/5 sec full gain. The G + B were brighter.

Here is the RGB image. It's round and greenish.

It's a good time to find Uranus if you have never seen it before. It needs higher pover 150x + to bring out the disk. Just get Jupiter in the finderscope and Uranus is the nearest 'star' above and sligtly to the right.

regards

Peter

post-16528-133877482836_thumb.jpg

I must try this Peter, only took a couple of so so results a long time ago, does uranus suffer rotation blur, i know detail is rarely picked up by amatuers. But one lives in hope. probably not possible with a 10" the big problem ( and you mention this ) is 1 getting enough power to reveal a disc, 2 its faintness and have to use very slow exposures ( especially with a healthy Focal length ) which obviously makes it even harder to get a crisp shot at those extremes of exposure. Cant really see a way around the problem other than a big scope and sensetive camera any advice on the largest Focal length i could possibly get away with under good transparency, and slow exposures Peter. i might try single colour DBK. DMK with a luminence filter ( for maximum light ) red filter and dmk for possible albeo shadings ( not likely i know ) and maybe a RGB with DMK, Pete recently pushed the boat out on this and although the shot was perfection. even hes big scope and sensetive camera and skill failed to show any albedo markings. though one wonders if the situation varies, because i think i remember seeing some years ago.

Nice shot Peter love the colour too

Neil,

Cheers. I have not seen albedo markings very often in published images. I am sure with excellent seeing, a good aperture, filters? it may be possible. The seeing was rubbish, usual jetstream, so I wasn't expecting much having abandoned Jupiter.

Now the planets are so close, it has got to be worth imaging Uranus if we get good seeing. The jetstream clears off next week so if it's clear, the seeing could be good.

all the best

Peter

I agree that they are getting closer by the night. Last night at about 125x I managed to get them (just) in the same field of view in my 13mm Ethos; one was just there as the other went out. They will be within 0.8 degrees of each other at opposition on 21/9 apparently. The seeing was rubbish here too but always nice to observe no matter what it's like. I saw something like your disc at 500x with the Nagler zoom but it was a fuzzy blob. Hoping to get a hint of moons to no avail.

Archived