SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First galaxy last night

stuming

Hi all,

Was checking out Jupiter and Uranus last night. Uranus was an obvious blue-ish disc: quite pleased to get that one. I could see some banding on Jupiter so pretty pleased with that also. Went in and had my tea then came out again about midnight. Last night the goto on my scope was pretty inaccurate. I don't know if it wasn't levelled properly or if it had taken a knock, not sure. Even so I had a good look around (and used Starmap HD) and thought I'd have a go at the Pleides. I looked up and I could spot them with the naked eye. I was impressed by this as I'm based in SE London which isn't the best for light pollution. Checked them (it?) out and thought on a whim that I'd have a go at a galaxy. Andromeda was the obvious choice but I wasn't holding out much hope what with the light pollution and the inaccurate goto. Anyway, punched it in, and was looking through the finder scope as it slewed around. When it stopped I could see the faint smudge of the galaxy through the finder scope already! I was amazed! Averted vision allowed me to see more, and then I went to the scope's EP. While I can't say I saw it in photographic glory I started to make out the shape and spent about 1.5 hours on it.

My first galaxy ... I'm very chuffed!

Stu

Fantastic, well done. All the advice says that the more time you spend looking at them, the more you see. That said, how do you manage to spend 1.5 hours looking at a grey smudge? :) I know most people here probably do the same so you are not alone. But for me, ten minutes tops and then I am bored and off after something else. I will look at the same things many times over, but I can only spend a very small amount of time on each object before I get bored. Maybe there is something wrong with me.

Keep your fingers crossed that London take up the challenge of switching off street lights too.

Congrats!, I did the same many years ago with a manual mounted cheap 114mm F7.8 reflector. If you can get Andromeda, try for M57 the Ring Nebula, it should be just as easy if not easier to see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great that you found it.

I tried for a few days to get m31 and it was worth it, since thenI have found a couple of other m numbers (I relay need a list to tick off)

I am waiting for some clear sky to get out again and find some more but always take a look at m31

Archived