Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

melsky

M31 (what difference a dark sky makes)

Wow, what a picture, you can really see the core, the dust lanes and the star forming regions. Very well done Mel

WOW! Let me get this right, the image was taken with no scope, just the 550 with a 200mm lens? OMG! I've got a Nikon D80 with 200mm and 300mm lenses. All I need now is to find a really dark area, being in the West Mids that's really difficult. Anyone know of some good places in the West Mids? I'm near Dudley/Wolverhampton etc.

WOW! Let me get this right, the image was taken with no scope, just the 550 with a 200mm lens? OMG! I've got a Nikon D80 with 200mm and 300mm lenses. All I need now is to find a really dark area, being in the West Mids that's really difficult. Anyone know of some good places in the West Mids? I'm near Dudley/Wolverhampton etc.

Head west.

BirminghamvsWales.jpg

Yeah I've pretty much come to that conclusion. Trouble is, at the moment it may be clear when I leave but I won't even be half way and the clouds will come again. Think I'm going to have to wait a month or two for the better weather. At least astronomy teaches you patience LOL

Wonder how to achieve sharp focus with the 200mm lens, by checking on 550D's LCD screen to see when stars are sharper?

If you're not connecting the camera to a computer, then the best way is to zoom in on the live view and check that the starts are as small as possible.

Using an Astrotrac I assume they are usually not connected to the computer.

I did that on camera's LCD screen however the DSO I was pointing at was so faint/invisible on Live View, and zooming 10X on camera's Live View I used other stars or planets to adjust focus - they looked sharp on Live View however when I look at the photos later they are not sharp enough.

Apart from Bahtinov Mask, is there a more accurate way to focus both with and without using a computer? I use my normal camera lens as well hope the method is applicable to those.

Thx

To connect the camera to the computer you could give APT a try

www.astroplace.net - APT - Introduction

It has a focusing aid. Basically you zoom into live view in APT and it measures the diameter of a star while you focus. Just try to make that diameter value as small as possible.

There is a free demo version of APT on that page and the full version is very reasonably priced.