Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

melsky

M31 (what difference a dark sky makes)

Absolutely incredible! - beautiful :)

^^ I agree, I think Mel's images using lenses and an Astrotrack are an inspiration every time. I'm a fan.

Olly

Amazing picture. I think I would like an Astrotrac, but that doesn't mean I could get a photo THIS good.

Damn ! I'm happy you bumped this, this is possibly the best M31 I've seen, Definitely my favourite !

A contender for the budget deep sky thread surely? But as I said in that thread you don't need a telescope to do deep sky photography.

What a lovely image !!

I'd be more than happy to print that out and have it on a lounge wall.

I bet he used a barndoor as well lol.

I remember viewing this post back in 2010 and how beautiful a shot this is. I actually copied this image and use it as a benchmark, something to aspire to (hope you don't mind Mel!)

Wonderful shot a real inspiration well done

Al

I remember viewing this post back in 2010 and what a beautiful shot this is. I actually copied this image and use it as a benchmark, something to aspire to (hope you don't mind Mel!)

Wonderful shot a real inspiration well done

Al

No Problem Al, I think I got lucky with this one as it was before I switched to laser aligning the Astrotrac.

Thanks Sandra for dragging up one of my old posts.

Mel :)

That's amazing - beautiful pic.

How can you get such a flat field right to edge with a camera lens?

What model lens is it?

That's amazing - beautiful pic.

How can you get such a flat field right to edge with a camera lens?

What model lens is it?

Any of the quality prime lenses (Nikon ED and Canon L series) should be capable of producing nice star images to the edge. These pro series lenses feature colour corrected optics like apochromatic telescopes and are generally better quality optically than standard kit lenses. This is of course reflected in the price of such lenses- although for astro work a second hand manual focus pro lens is perfectly okay since AF is a hinderance in astrophotography. So if you avoid zooms, aperture down slightly you can achieve good results without a scope.

Edit some pro series zooms are actuality quite good for astro work. The Nikon 80-200 f2.8 ED is such a lens, l'm sure there is a Canon equivalent

Any of the quality prime lenses (Nikon ED and Canon L series) should be capable of producing nice star images to the edge. These pro series lenses feature colour corrected optics like apochromatic telescopes and are generally better quality optically than standard kit lenses. This is of course reflected in the price of such lenses- although for astro work a second hand manual focus pro lens is perfectly okay since AF is a hinderance in astrophotography. So if you avoid zooms, aperture down slightly you can achieve good results without a scope.

Edit some pro series zooms are actuality quite good for astro work. The Nikon 80-200 f2.8 ED is such a lens, l'm sure there is a Canon equivalent

Well - whatever Mel used - I want one!

That looks better than a lot of expensive telescopes &

I love than wide 200mm field.

I have a kit lens for my EOS1000d & a cheap 75mm to 300mm

telephoto but they don't like stars - only daytime shots.

Also guiding at 200mm would be so easy after 1220mm that I do now with my Newt.

Edited by alpal