SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M31 (what difference a dark sky makes)

melsky

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember viewing this post back in 2010 and how beautiful a shot this is. I actually copied this image and use it as a benchmark, something to aspire to (hope you don't mind Mel!)

Wonderful shot a real inspiration well done

Al

I remember viewing this post back in 2010 and what a beautiful shot this is. I actually copied this image and use it as a benchmark, something to aspire to (hope you don't mind Mel!)

Wonderful shot a real inspiration well done

Al

That's amazing - beautiful pic.

How can you get such a flat field right to edge with a camera lens?

What model lens is it?

Any of the quality prime lenses (Nikon ED and Canon L series) should be capable of producing nice star images to the edge. These pro series lenses feature colour corrected optics like apochromatic telescopes and are generally better quality optically than standard kit lenses. This is of course reflected in the price of such lenses- although for astro work a second hand manual focus pro lens is perfectly okay since AF is a hinderance in astrophotography. So if you avoid zooms, aperture down slightly you can achieve good results without a scope.

Edit some pro series zooms are actuality quite good for astro work. The Nikon 80-200 f2.8 ED is such a lens, l'm sure there is a Canon equivalent

Any of the quality prime lenses (Nikon ED and Canon L series) should be capable of producing nice star images to the edge. These pro series lenses feature colour corrected optics like apochromatic telescopes and are generally better quality optically than standard kit lenses. This is of course reflected in the price of such lenses- although for astro work a second hand manual focus pro lens is perfectly okay since AF is a hinderance in astrophotography. So if you avoid zooms, aperture down slightly you can achieve good results without a scope.

Edit some pro series zooms are actuality quite good for astro work. The Nikon 80-200 f2.8 ED is such a lens, l'm sure there is a Canon equivalent

Well - whatever Mel used - I want one!

That looks better than a lot of expensive telescopes &

I love than wide 200mm field.

I have a kit lens for my EOS1000d & a cheap 75mm to 300mm

telephoto but they don't like stars - only daytime shots.

Also guiding at 200mm would be so easy after 1220mm that I do now with my Newt.

Archived