Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Howdy from Horsham!!

bradfrankshaw

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Frank, and welcome.

I can concur: stellarium is excellent. There are some good aps for the ipad/iphone/ipod touch too. I particularly like StarmapPro, but it's an iphone/ipod touch app only at the moment so you have to scale it up on the ipad. Still a great app though, as it allows you to enter details of your camera, telescopes, eyepieces etc and it will show you the field of view. Very useful.

For dark-ish skies I find it quite good just south of Dorking, or along towards abinger hammer. When I say "good", I mean good compared to where I live, which is much closer to London!

I use a green laser pointer if I'm with friends, and I don't think they're illegal. You just shouldn't point them at aircraft, people, cars etc. of course, but of course you shouldn't need a law to prevent you doing that...

Good luck with the astro photos - hope you post some of your results!

As for the green laser, perhaps it's feasible to get a license of sorts from a police station for an "Astronomy Laser"? I wonder if this is worth investigating.

frank

I'm 99% sure you don't need anything of the sort - I ordered one of Amazon recently and there were loads on there. They wouldn't list them if they were illegal.

You can pick them up for under a tenner if you look around.

Archived