DC, Heart AND SOUL! (cracked it...)

ollypenrice

A bit of homework in Registar allowed me to defeat the geometrical distortions which were afflicting the Soul (when combined) and so here is the whole 9-panel monster taken over 3 successive nights. All in the OSC Atik 4000 and Tak FSQ at 328mm. However, going to 9 panels introduces some complications in terms of the shape of the final image, as I now know!! (You end up with all the sky that you thought you shot but when combined you can't put a rectangular frame round all of it. It was touch and go for the Soul but, phew, it's in there...) It's important to begin the mosaic combining with the central image, which isn't surprising.)

Taken over 3 successive nights with 80 mins per panel plus an extra hour for the Heart. I know you could do this with a camera lens but I like the little stars you get by presenting a huge image at a small size. I'll maybe think about Ha when the moon is back.

Bigger one here;

Widefield images including mosaics and overlays. - ollypenrice's Photos

Olly

1008701253_vjvur-XL.jpg

Wow!, That's a fine piece of work Olly. A Truly amazing sight.

How many square degrees do we cover here then?

Ron.:D

Hi Ron (and thanks Peter). I make it just over 7 deg by 5, so 35 square degrees.

I wonder if the Heart and Soul will one day turn into a second Double Cluster. I guess they will.

Olly

Wonderful! Just checked out the original size image... sooo many stars

Yes there a quite a few, but that's not the original, it is only a version at 50%. To show at 100 percent I would have needed double the exposure (at least) per panel and with nine panels you have to draw the line somewhere (unfortunately!)

Olly

Archived