Hello from Cornwall!!

Ralphh85

Hello.

after being pestered by my mrs what "that thing" was in the night sky i eventually researched on the net an found out it was Jupiter! which lead me here few days ago, always liked space an stuff like that, i think theres lots of cool stuff which goes totally unnoticed by 99.9% of the population even tho its right above there heads, just not as easy to see as some other things.

anyway just bought a cheapo telescope off ebay for just shy of £40, if i get in to it all then i will probably buy something a bit more proper in a month or 3. had a telescope yonks ago when i was young but never really used it hole load.

mostly in to cars an have a job where i sit in front of a PC so tend to be on forums most of the day :eek:

over an out :D

Ralph

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

copyed from ebay...

Lumex Astronomical Telescope

ACHROMATIC OBJECTIVE LENS: F = 900 mm D = 60 mm

EYEPIECE - F - 4 mm .......... 225 X & 450 X (W/2 X BARLOW) ACCESSORIES: 5 X 24 mm FINDER SCOPE

F - 12.5 mm ...... 72 X & 144 X (W/2 X BARLOW) DIAGONAL MIRROR & SUN FILTER

F - 20 mm ......... 45 X & 90 X (W/2 X BARLOW)

i was gonna ask on here first but decided dont really mind if its rubbish as i prefer to get something good if im gonna go for it, an if i work out what im doing with this one i can then make a better decision for a couple hundred quid one.

yes i think forums are probably the best place for info on stuff, an its great to try an parcipitate on them.

Ralph

I think you're doing it the right way, getting a feel for things first, don't forget, you have to persevere to get results - I wish you the best of luck.

Any scope is a good start, but be careful of the sun filter, they can be dodgy territory, best ask for more advice before trying that out.

There's a book called "Turn left at Orion" that will probably help you. I'm not the only one on SGL who uses it regularly.

gonna sound stupid but what is the sunfilter? does it mean you can look at the sun? closest i got to that before is a welding mask!

yes just want to get a grasp of it, to be fair i already have a pretty good set of binoculars, 10x50 or something, never looked in to the sky with them tho!

Ralph

Hi Ralph :D

Welcome to Stargazers from Plymouth.

You need to download Stellarium. It is fantastic and will definately help you find your way around. I'm a newbie too and have a pair of Meade 10x50's and have been surprised at how good they are and what I can see with them, definately a good starting place. :eek:

Archived