Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another and probably totally unnecessary noob thread

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My spidey sense is tingling with that one. If he's pennies short of a round number then there's likely some shill bidding going on. Keep an eye on the bidding in the seller's other auctions to see if the same occurs.

Well i've won now but was pressured into shopping him to ebay by some colleagues. My argument was that I got a really good telescope with about £100. Their argument was, if it is him, he's stealing from me.

Ah well, I now own a telescope (technically). Just have to go collect it now.

Well i've won now but was pressured into shopping him to ebay by some colleagues. My argument was that I got a really good telescope with about £100. Their argument was, if it is him, he's stealing from me.

Ah well, I now own a telescope (technically). Just have to go collect it now.

What 'scope is it?

Congrats on being a new owner (welcome to the club) :)

I have to disagree. Scope power and size isn't as important for imaging as it is for viewing. You can take amazing photo's even in the smallest of scopes.

As a solution for the 'maybe use later for imaging' problem... If you buy a dobsonian you always have the option of buying an EQ mount for it at a later date. This is exactly what I did for my 10" dob. I now enojoy the best of both worlds with a great grab n go dobsonian and an EQ mount setup for longer/high magnification viewing or imaging.

Admitadly 10" is pretty hardcore when it comes to buying a mount for such a beast. But a 6" or 8" will serve you very well in both observing and photography. Answering your original question about the moon and planets... pretty much any scope can show off the moon in all its glory. For Saturn & Jupiter you can get half decent views in most modest scopes but obviously larger scopes give you more light / magnification to play with. As for deep sky observing .. aperture is king.. bigger the better. Again, for photography... its down to exposure lengths and camera's so scope size really is not so important.

Hope that helps :-S

Matt

Picking up my dob Saturday morning all being well, driving for 4 hours with a broken big toe, what a hero.

Anyway, is there a site that will give me reliable observing conditions for this weekend in South Wales? Will I be able to get some good close ups of the moon do you think?

Nice one! good luck with it - you'll love it.

there's not a site in the UK that will give 'reliable' observing conditions, it's just down to the weather.

if you mean safe and dark then others might be able to helps but where you are I suspect the answer is 'lots'.

if you are looking at the moon and Jupiter though, as long as you can see them in the sky naked eye then you will get good views from anywhere so why not just observe from your garden? light pollution won't affect these babies! (in fact the moon IS light pollution in itself!).

Nice one! good luck with it - you'll love it.

there's not a site in the UK that will give 'reliable' observing conditions, it's just down to the weather.

if you mean safe and dark then others might be able to helps but where you are I suspect the answer is 'lots'.

if you are looking at the moon and Jupiter though, as long as you can see them in the sky naked eye then you will get good views from anywhere so why not just observe from your garden? light pollution won't affect these babies! (in fact the moon IS light pollution in itself!).

Yeah ill set it up in my garden on Saturday night depending on the weather, its supposed to be dry and mostly clear according to the weather channel.

Is there something I need to do? Like calibrate it or something? Or can I just put it together, point and look?

Yeah ill set it up in my garden on Saturday night depending on the weather, its supposed to be dry and mostly clear according to the weather channel.

Is there something I need to do? Like calibrate it or something? Or can I just put it together, point and look?

I'd check the collimation (google 'Astro Baby Collimation') and you'll see it. you can get a rough collimation with a film canister with a 2-3mm hole drilled in the centre.

good luck and enjoy the scope mate.

I'd check the collimation (google 'Astro Baby Collimation') and you'll see it. you can get a rough collimation with a film canister with a 2-3mm hole drilled in the centre.

good luck and enjoy the scope mate.

Oh God I don't know what any of that means. More research for me.

don't worry - it's just 'tuning a guitar'

basically it means lining up the mirrors so the scope gives the best images possible.

you might find that the collimation is OK when it arrives home but usually a long journey puts it out a bit.

you might be OK to observe initially with it as it comes though, although let the scope cool outside for at least an hour before use.

don't worry - it's just 'tuning a guitar'

basically it means lining up the mirrors so the scope gives the best images possible.

you might find that the collimation is OK when it arrives home but usually a long journey puts it out a bit.

you might be OK to observe initially with it as it comes though, although let the scope cool outside for at least an hour before use.

Right ok, cheers. I'm assuming the manual will tell me how to collimate anyway?

right i've got it. This is it, set up in the garden. PLease forgive the overgrowing strawberrys, if anybody in south wales wants to take some cuttings please come and help yourself.

DSCN0197.jpg

Now, when I look inside there seems to be a smudge or something on the primary mirror. Could it be i've been diddled by the ebay seller? Is this a big problem? Should I take it to an expert to have cleaned?

I suspect this is just dew marks. they never cause a problem and a mirror has to be pretty dirty (obviously bad) to even remotely affect the view. leave well alone until you have some experience and then consider cleaning in due course.

don't worry I am sure it will not be a problem and a little dirt / a few marks is normal in a used scope.

enjoy it mate and have a great first light!

I suspect this is just dew marks. they never cause a problem and a mirror has to be pretty dirty (obviously bad) to even remotely affect the view. leave well alone until you have some experience and then consider cleaning in due course.

don't worry I am sure it will not be a problem and a little dirt / a few marks is normal in a used scope.

enjoy it mate and have a great first light!

Cheers Shane!

first light with a new scope! amazing luck.

I have taken the liberty of just fiddling with your photo a little and converting to mono which I feel gives better results with our sort of kit.

hope you don't mind. not a bad effort from you!

How blumming dare you!!!!!!!

Only kidding, that's fine I was trying to work out how to do that myself. Thanks!! :)

Archived