SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Fireworks Galaxy (NGC 6946) and cluster NGC 6939

Shibby

Hi,

Lovely clear sky Saturday night so I tried to make the most of the opportunity! So I thought I'd have a go at this nice little pair.

The transparency and my gradually improving polar alignment allowed me to take longest subs yet :D (I wanted the longer subs as I've read this galaxy is quite obscured by dust)

20x4min unguided ISO 800 + 9 darks (would have preferred more darks but fatigue set in!)

I also tried star layers for the first time, it does seem to have helped keep the brighter stars sharper.

NGC6946_NGC6939.jpg

All comments & advice much appreciated!

Lewis

Thanks for the comments chaps, I believe this to be my best image yet (not saying that much I know!)

I'm lucky it's a nice section of the sky, as I'm quite limited by houses and streetlights blocked out by parasols lol.

I attach some 100% crops, again using MartinB's excellent star layers tutorial to minimise bloating of the brighter stars. I'm so chuffed with the Vixen GP mount it seems to be tracking really well :D which is also thanks to the good members' mount advice here at SGL!

NGC6939-crop.jpg

I must check it on my other monitor, the one on my laptop is very bright in comparison. Coma has affected the stars a bit around the galaxy:

NGC6946-crop.jpg

Archived