M31 summary

MartinB

Thank you to all of you who managed to observe and send in reports of M31. Although few in number the reports were of good quality providing a clear indication of what is and isn't visible.

Through 10x50 binos M31 was visible as a "big smudge with a white centre" but M110 and 32 were not visible - despite a dark clear sky. It took an ED80 with a 40mm EP to frame the galaxy.

with a 10" fast scope dust lanes start to become visible however they are subtle and need properly dark adapted vision and dark skies. The message is that although bright to fully appreciate M31 you need a wild field of view and give it plenty of time.

• 3 years later...

I think a lot of people see fantastic photographs of M31 and buy a telescope hoping to see all that detail. I know a couple of guys who were incredibly disappointed when they bought fairly expensive scopes, only to see the proverbial "grey smudge - bit brighter in the middle". After only a few weeks, they gave up on astronomy, thinking, well, if M31 is the biggest thing I'm going to see, everything else will be even worse. It's OK, they have been rescued now....

I think it's up to the more experienced of us to point out out that there is so much good stuff to see and perhaps in better detail than M31. Too often, forums get carried away with more experienced astronomers waxing lyrical about new kit they've bought costing £000's when we should also be encouraging the newbies by managing their expectations on what they are likely to see.

I for one found it very frustrating when I returned to the hobby after a gap of over 30 years, but by asking for advice, getting it in droves, understanding the limitations of my scope, having a crack at imaging, albeit not great quality, but hey ho, worth a go. I now find myself easily finding new objects to view, plus I have the confidence to ask questions by the bucketload and not be embarrassed about not inderstanding the myriad of abbreviations, "astro-speak" and I've stopped looking at kit which will always be beyond my budget.

I'm really enjoying these clear skies!

• 1 month later...

I totally agree Skybrowser, bought my first scope january this year and never really used because was getting dissapointing result's. Until recently it was gathering dust, was'nt till last week i purchased some Helios 10 x 50 bino's and that has opened up a whole new meaning of sky exploring. Every clear night i am out with my bino's learning the constellation's and star's within them and then getting my scope out for a more detailed view. I now know my limitation's of my equipment (Skywatcher Explorer 150) and wont be dissapointed again, just waiting to win the lottery to buy a 16" scope though lol, clear skies everyone.

• 4 months later...

Agree with all the above, bought my trusty lidl binos a year ago and got to know the sky (a bit) with those before getting a scope (skywatcher 130) in january this year. With less than 200 squids worth of kit I'm absou bloomin lutley chuffed to bits with what's up there to see.

• 7 months later...

date 26th october 2011 and don't know what everyone is on about it's not all about m31 try looking at m32 and what a good observer calls " the parachute star cluster " i am a member of liverpool astronomical society and since becoming a member i can see now what the solar system is all about. I have been looking at jupiter and it's moons now for the best part of two years but now i finally see it, the four bands on the planet itself through a 16" telescope unbelievable also a double star cluster so sharp almost three " D " in contrast put that together with a star cluster with the star of david apparant in it if you look deep into it, so all those people out there who are all thinking about taking this wonderful subject up don't think twice. Before you buy anything find out about the night sky around you look for the most outstanding star shapes for example the big dipper, orion the slayer in which you will find m32 and the star clusters i have already mentioned and then decide whether to carry on or call it a day but i think you'll be very surprised. So in conclusion you put all those thigs into practise and combine them with the incredible planets and all in all you'll have a pretty good hobby to keep you occupied so keep trying and you will reap the benefits like i have only began to do after two years jimmythemoonlight

• 2 months later...

Great news!!!!! I have only had my scope a few days. Initially I was blown away by Jupiter, the bands and moons clearly visible. Although the moon was bright in the sky I managed to navigate fairly easily to M42 and M45. I was loving it so far, M42 revealed its distinctive shape and I'm hooked. I then turned my attention to M31 and to be honest I've struggled. On my third consecutive night and armed with some bino's I began the hunt again.

I've found it at last The scope revealed the dim grey smudge!!!!!!

With mixed feelings:

1. Disappointment - This was very short lived (about 5 minutes)

2. A big wake up call as to just how much of a challenge it will be to find my way around up there. - Fabulous, bring it on!!!!!

3. A quick take stock of what I've actually seen - That's another galaxy and its 2.5 million light years away!!!!!

Andy

Archived