Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging Jupiter with a Canon 500D

salmja79

Hi,

I'm new to astro imaging and have a few questions I wanted to run past more experienced imagers. I've recently tried to image Jupiter using my Canon 500D and wanted to see if anyone else has used this method.

I have used the Video function with the 500D, converted the saved .MOV file into an AVI file and then processed the AVI file using Registax. I have started to get some results but the image is quite small and it becomes pixel-ated when I try to enlarge.

Is there some data loss during the video conversion which would lead to this?

Would I be better off using a webcam?

My final question is around filters. Should I be using a filter to capture these images?

Thanks in advance

Sal

It all depends on what telescope you were using, and whether or not you were using a barlow. You need a longish focal length to get a decent image. Using my webcam and 5x barlow, I have a focal length of 5000mm. What telescope were you using, and were you using at prime focus?

However, I would advise you to pick up one of the cheap SPC880 webcams mentioned elsewhere on this forum, if they're still available (and if you're in the UK, of course). It will give you MUCH better results than a DSLR.

What are you attaching your 500D to? Is it "just" a camera lens? If so, it would have to be of very long focal length in order to magnify Jupiter sufficiently, or if you're using a scope, have you tried a Barlow in-between scope & camera? I got some adequate shots using a 770mm refractor with 2x Powermate (sort-of Barlow), and used EOS Movie Record (EMR), which has a rather handy 5x "digital zoom" function, to save the AVI. The zoom function, while good for making up for lack of "real" magnification, requires good quality optics and very clear seeing & steady atmosphere, or you just end up with a fuzzy mess.

...and yes, the video conversion will undoubtedly lead to quality loss, if using a compression codec for the AVI. Not using a codec at all, while preserving quality, would result in colossal file sizes. This is part of the reason I use EMR instead of the Canon's in-built MOV recorder... no need to convert. I did, however, need to download another codec, since Avistack, which I use in place of Registax, didn't recognise the EMR codec at first.

Hi Guys,

thanks for your response.

I'm using a Skywatcher 130 and 2x Barlow between the scope and the camera. Camera is at Prime focus

The EOS movie record tip is a good idea, I will give this a go instead of live view.

What about filters? Sometimes the image is so bright that I’ve found a standard light pollution filter helps.

Archived