Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quadruple satellite pass

Hi all,

This evening is just a binocular observing session for me, with the Milky Way overhead and a myriad of stars to explore. However, at 21:52BST, I saw two satellites within 2 or 3 full moon widths of eachother, at the same speed, going in the same direction and of similar brightness. I put the binoculars to my eyes, only to see that there were two more between them - a little dimmer, but going at the same speed, and in the same direction. They were going from south to north. I will try to get some heavens-above data for them, but I was wondering if anyone has any possible explanations? Chance? Thanks.

Don't you just wish that you could record these peculiar sightings? Hope you find out what they were.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw it!

They may have been the Cluster satellites, which would be a rare sighting as they are in a highly elliptical orbit:

Cluster mission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does it look feasible?

Have a look at this, click on "live 3d java tracking display".

When the window opens, select your update rates etc and using the shortcuts mentioned, you can zoom in or out as far as you want, and click on any of the "dots" to learn its name, etc, etc. It can be live, or historical.

NASA - Science@NASA Satellite Tracking

I find it quite usefull to tie in with something i have seen overhead!:D

Have a look at this, click on "live 3d java tracking display".

When the window opens, select your update rates etc and using the shortcuts mentioned, you can zoom in or out as far as you want, and click on any of the "dots" to learn its name, etc, etc. It can be live, or historical.

NASA - Science@NASA Satellite Tracking

I find it quite usefull to tie in with something i have seen overhead!:D

Thanks - I've used that before, but I don't know how to change the date...

• 2 weeks later...

A friend was saying he saw a quadruple satellite 'fly-past' in a diamond formation around the time you saw yours. He did some research and came to the conclusion that it was the space shuttle launching 3 satellites simultaneously.

I'd love to have seen it, but I can safely assume it was cloudy :icon_salut:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Hi all,

This evening is just a binocular observing session for me, with the Milky Way overhead and a myriad of stars to explore. However, at 21:52BST, I saw two satellites within 2 or 3 full moon widths of eachother, at the same speed, going in the same direction and of similar brightness. I put the binoculars to my eyes, only to see that there were two more between them - a little dimmer, but going at the same speed, and in the same direction. They were going from south to north. I will try to get some heavens-above data for them, but I was wondering if anyone has any possible explanations? Chance? Thanks.

I also saw them same speed, definately following each other, heading South to North, between 11pm & 12 44° 58' 48" N / 93° 15' 49" W, Minneapolis Minnesota

Archived