Hello from Faroe Islands (62°0′N)

andras

Hi,

I'm new to this site and new to astronomy alltogether. I have been talking about buying a telescope for some years now, and 8 months ago my wife (with help from family and friends) got me a Celestron Nexstar 4SE for my 30th birthday. So I have used it a bit when we lived in Denmark, but only in quite light-polluted locations, so I haven't seen that much with it yet.

The accessories I have are quite standard (out-of-the-box). A plossl 25mm and a lunar filter and a solar filter. The solar filter I haven't got to see much. Only a white circle that isn't very impressing (compared to the reddish pictures of the sun that I've seen online. The lunar filter I use more often, because I like watching the moon through binoculars and now with my scope and lunar filter, it just got way more fun.

About me, I am 30 years old, married and have 2 kids. I work with computers and develop software, which I like very much. I've been living in Denmark for the past 3 years, and just moved back to the Faroe Islands, where I was born and grew up. I am very new to telescopes, and have only been watching the moon, because that's the only place I've seen facinating views on. I did manage to see saturn and it's rings earlier this year, but it was so tiny that I barely managed to identify/spot it. (smaller than this image).

I had expected more, but I guess this is where you'd invest in more equipment... ?!

Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting input from you guys. Been reading some posts already, and this looks like a great place to be.

Regards,

Andras Eliassen

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you,

I did try to present some skerpikjøt for danish people, but they were not so fond of it :D

But I guess most countries have their "specialty".

The skies here get very dark in this time of year, but it's rare to get clear skies (almost always cloudy and fog).

But some nights are perfect (only been here for a month since moving, so I haven't had the best viewing conditions yet).

Andras Eliassen

And another hello from me, here in cloudy, 55°30′N, Scotland !!

A nice scope you have. If you get a few more eyepieces, for a wide range of magnifications, you'll get even better views of the planets and the moon etc !

Cheers,

Andy.

Thanks,

@AndyH, regarding eyepieces: how do I read the specifications of the eyepieces? Especially I want more magnification. I bet there are other threads - I read the Sticky about minimun equipment, but it was a bit overwhealming. It says:

You should have a high power, a medium-high and/or medium-low power eyepiece, and a low power eyepiece.

How do I read "high power / low power" on a plossl? Mine just says 25mm...

I know this is very basic, but I'm very ignorant on this subject :D

Thanks,

Andras Eliassen

Hi Andras, welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you'll find all the assistance you need here to help you get started. It's a nice friendly forum so please feel free to ask any questions and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

The magnification on a telescope is based on 2 things :-

1) the focal length of the telescope ( in your case I think it's 1300mm )

2) the focal length of the eyepiece ( which you say is 25mm )

to work out the magnification just divide the focal length telescope by focal length eyepiece.

e.g. with a 25mm eyepiece your scope should be 1300mm / 25mm = 52x

Cheers

Frank

Welcome to SGL. Regarding the solar filter: if it screws into the eyepiece THROW IT AWAY!!! These types are dangerous, as they can shatter. If it is the type that fits in front of the scope, they are fine. When there are no sunspots, white-light observing of the sun is rather boring. You need an expensive H-alpha filter to capture more detail.

Thank you guys! That cleared up a couple of things for me.

There is no telescope-shop here in the faroe islands (that I know of), but I would then probably buy something from Denmark instead when that time (or $$) comes.

But this should probably keep me covered for a while?

Thanks,

Andras Eliassen

@michael.h.f.wilkinson

Regarding the solar filter: if it screws into the eyepiece THROW IT AWAY!!! These types are dangerous, as they can shatter.

The Lunar filter screws into the eyepiece, but I have been warned about pointing the telescope at the sun. Therefore I bought a solar filter that goes on front of the telescope.

Thank you for the clearification about the H-alpha filter. I'll wait with that one for a while then :D

Thanks,

Andras Eliassen

Archived