Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Philips SPC880NC is now.......

russ

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey its not :eek: I was actually looking for the post on sgl about these webcams for sale. Just wanted to read the posts regarding the cam, as I'm considering buying one as their so cheap, but I don't quit know how good they are for planetary/moon imaging, or if theirs any special equipment I will need to use it with. I have a dslr 50d at the moment which I use for planetary and dso's but keep reading that webcams and ccds are the way for planetary/lunar....any advice...:D

These cams are identical to the SPC900NC and excellent for planetary/lunar work. Obviously not a patch on an Imaging Source DMK21 but they cost over £300 by the time you add a filter wheel and filters. But this is still a very capable camera and a bargain at £6. There is some work needed (hence this thread) to get up and running as a SPC900NC but it takes hardly any time at all. A couple of minutes at the most.

Edited by russ

Thanks for the reply, right I think i'm set on buying one now...only problems are I'm running Windows 7 :eek: so I might see if I can somehow emulate windows xp or if not I might have to duel-boot my pc with xp and do it that way. ALSO...with regards to your instructions on flashing...I understand your description on how to do it....but I don't understand what the link to PHILIPS SPC900NC uncovered is talking about?? Why do we need to open the webcam? Isn't flashing basically changing the software? Or am I missing something else?

I appreciate the help though!!! :D

Paul, if you have had your ToUcam PRO II for a few years, £6 seems a very cheap insurance policy for a full hardware backup to have in the cupboard? :D

Excellent point! Maybe I should pop along to the Morgan site...

Thanks for the reply, right I think i'm set on buying one now...only problems are I'm running Windows 7 :eek: so I might see if I can somehow emulate windows xp or if not I might have to duel-boot my pc with xp and do it that way. ALSO...with regards to your instructions on flashing...I understand your description on how to do it....but I don't understand what the link to PHILIPS SPC900NC uncovered is talking about?? Why do we need to open the webcam? Isn't flashing basically changing the software? Or am I missing something else?

I appreciate the help though!!! :D

Flashing doesn't require you to open the webcam, as it's purely in software. However, to make the camera useable for astro use, you need to remove the lens cell, and replace it with a nosepiece adapter (and ideally a UV/IR filter). You can open one up and convert it for long exposures too.

Excellent, thanks John, answered it for me. :D

Running Windows XP is critical for the flash process as the SPC880 won't work with Vista or Win7. Once flashed to a SPC900NC, the camera will work with Windows 7.

Edited by russ

I'm gagging to get mine so I can chop one up for a long expsure mod! If that fails I'll send the second to Astronomiser for a professional job... £6 + £60 for a deep sky camera!... or should I get the chip changed too whilst I'm at it?

Edited by haitch

Hopefully you can DIY and have a deepsky/guider camera for peanuts. :D

As someone with extremely basic electronics knowledge, but still pretty handy, am I the only one who finds the various modification tutorials fairly unintelligible? I can't even find a basic shopping list for the parts that you'll need. Can anyone direct me to one? I just want to be able to trundle along to Maplins with a list!

Edited by lukebl

I did the LX mod with the 4066 chip. Since then I had timing problems at settings of less than 5 sec exposure which makes the cam useless for using as a guide cam. This may be due to my setup as I run the cam off a 5 meter active usb lead.

I am going to try and use the nand gate chip Steve Chambers used to see if there is any improvement to the timing issue.

Modding the SPC for long exposure is far easier than the Toucam. All the connections are made at the plug that joins the two boards together.

The Amp-off mod turns off the on-board amplifier whilst doing an exposure. If you dont do the amp-off mod, at exposures of more than 1 minute you will see a light patch to one side of your images (called amp glow) this can be removed to some extent in processing.

I just want to be able to trundle along to Maplins with a list!

Maplin dont seem to do the 4066 anymore they are more interested in selling toys and gadgets than components these days...

Bitsbox have everything you will need...

Bitsbox 4000 series logic

Carbon Film Resistors - Bitsbox

and £1.50 P&P

Edited by ant
Fixed the broken quote

Got my two £6 880's this morning, they can go with my £30 one....- cant wait to have a play with them.

Having to build an XP machine just to flash them!!unless anyone has tried flashing on the XP Vm in 7???

I think I will watch the forums a little more before trying the LX mod!