Narrowband

Making a 12 inch Mirror

Glasspusher

hi john , thanks for your comments , here are a few better pics please let me know what you think i need to do to finish making a better sphere , i think it shows a small edge defect and a slight hole , ? i think i have more polishing to do with perhaps mot for a while first then a little less with tot and test, do you concur? looking forward to your feedback PT

post-18854-133877526349_thumb.jpg

post-18854-133877526355_thumb.jpg

post-18854-133877526362_thumb.jpg

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the ronchi grating is just inside the radius of curvature the mirror is showing a slight turned edge and the bands are bowing inwards towards the centre indicating mild under correction here. In other words the middle is a little high. Working mirror on top (MOT) with a short stroke should sort out the edge. If the middle is still a little high you can still start to parabolise from this point IF the mirror is fully polished. Are you anywhere near a full polish?

John

i think based on polishing so far i am 75% polished out a little mistiness near outside edges and a small area in the centre perhaps 2" radius i have repressed my lap warm,and then cold overnight , then i hope to finish with another 1-2 hrs of polishing then on to parabolizing. i have a plywood lap base 6.5" dia x 1.5" to use as a lap base , i have to use the same pitch so i will melt it off my 9" lap i don't want to scrape it off in case i get contaminants off the base in the pitch, PT

PT, if at all possible I would keep the large lap, I often find that after figuring with a sub-diameter lap (50%) I need to go back to the full size lap for a final 'smooth over' to blend any subtle zones resulting from the 50% lap. If your mirror is fully polished and based on what your ronchigrams are showing it would be safe to begin parabolising. You do not have to have a perfect shere before beginning to parabolise.

John

PT, good video, the mirror looks very nice. You really need to make some quantitative assessment of the figure now. This could be done using the matching ronchi test which I descibed in an earlier post. Alternatively, you could use a star test if you have the tube assembly made. Basically, you look at slightly defocused images of a star either side of 'ideal' focus, if they look similar the mirror is good.

NickK, rotating the mirror during testing is a way of checking for astigmatism (a condition in which the mirror does not have a regular figure of revolution), assuming gross astigmatism is not present, as is the case with PT's mirror, rotating the mirror would be carried out in conjunction with a knife edge test and zonal mask. Astigmatism in some cases can only be revealed by interferometric testing.

John

Well done PT. I'm so pleased you've almost completed your mirror.

It looks very smooth, and a nice edge. You've done a great job under GP's guidance.

Are there anymore guys making good progress on this project?

Ron.:(

Archived