SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M74... worth the effort?

Vega

Is it really worth the time and effort, considering I like to get half decent images for my efforts...M74... Not many imaged it on here and im starting to realise why after a bit of googling

Worth sniffing at with an unmodded DSLR in a light polluted garden? what ya reckon?

Matt

I'd go for it - in fact I've been toying with the idea of imaging it as it's favourably position at my location. If you use your Skyliner and the Canon 400D you should get a reasonable image scale - check it out with CCD calc if you want. An unmodded DSLR should be OK with it - that's what I'd be using (Canon 1000D)

Is it really worth the time and effort, considering I like to get half decent images for my efforts...M74... Not many imaged it on here and im starting to realise why after a bit of googling

Worth sniffing at with an unmodded DSLR in a light polluted garden? what ya reckon?

Matt

I've had two attempts at it and neither of them have turned out particularly well for one reason or another. It's not overly large (slightly smaller than M51 if memory serves) but it's not that dim or tricky, I've certainly imaged dimmer objects. IIRC you may find getting a suitable guide star a bit tricky too, it's in a pretty sparse bit of the sky. It is a lovely object though!

Tony..

oh goodness, guide stars.. not even thought of that and I use a trusty unmodded ToUcam for that job too! What the hell.. I'm feeling ridiculously positive and lucky, I'll have a go in the next window of opportunity :-p

Matt

Archived