Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Has anybody else Heard a Meteor ?

I've heard sonic booms without being able to attribute their source. One assumes that the booms are either distant explosions (which the news would tell one about) or military aircraft (since Concorde was grounded), but who knows?

I heard - and felt - the explosion and break-up of the NASA shuttle Columbia. Some months back, a meteor was filmed coming down just north of Waco (only 35 miles from here). Coincidentally or not, I heard a sonic boom about the time of the filming. Pieces of this meteor were discovered; so it was proved to be an extraterrestrial object with pieces surviving atmospheric entry.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a memorable sighting from the back garden at my parents house in Epsom back in July 1990. I've dug out the observation log entry for the evening: the fireball / meteor was around mag -5. Apart from leaping out of my skin, I definitely heard a fizzing whoosh and then a crack as it split into a few fragments. The trail it left lasted around 5 or 6 secs.

I understand that the sharp tips of pine tree needles will resolve the radio frequency noise from meteorites, so that they can then be heard. Presumably other sharp tipped needle like leaves will do it too.

D

Yes. It went "Zzzzzzt-crack-pffufft-bang!" and landed in my neighbour's field.

I was pretty gob-smacked, as in 20 years of observing I had never seen a meteorite/bollide/whateveritscalled, up close.

I was struck by how bright it was. Like a welders torch. It actually cast a shadow coming in.

Truly amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

The last big meteor shower (2007/2008.?) I was working nights for Asda. We sat outside during our second break and watched the shower. Nothing spectacular until a streak across the sky. If you hold your thumb out infront of you, it was about that big, the brightest light I've seen and it made a sound akin to ripping cotton.

I was stunned.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard one about a year ago in my back yard! I was excited at the time but now I think back it was amazing, Id forgotten about it until I read this thread but it was AMAZING! it left a smokey sort of trail and a piece actually broke off and travelled with it before dissapearing quite quickly, the main piece carried on for a few seconds longer. they were orange and I deffinately heard something, it was a crackling sound. First and only time Ive seen a meteor with colour, it felt and looked real...and close. Brilliant! nothing at all like the usual meteors I see.

Archived