Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

cls ccd filter

Stephen Greenfield

Hi ,

having just modded my 1000d and removed the filter , and eventually getting it to work again (dam those ribbons :-) )

should I now invest in the Astronomik CLS CCD filter? I had bought a Hoya Red intensifier filter for widefield work for the lens and have a light pollution filter for the telescope eyepieces , will i notice a big difference if I invest in the astronomik? Does it affect the camera for anything else apart from the Ef-s lens ? The cheapest I could find in the uk was £108 , anyone know of cheaper ?

Thanks

Hi Stephen

I've got a modded 1000d and a CLS CCD filter and I'm very pleased with it.

The combination gives a slightly blueish tinge (easily corrected with curves in Photoshop) but dramatically cuts down light pollution.

Recommended

Hope this helps

Steve

The CCD version has an inbuilt IR filter, it is the one I use on my modded 1000D as I did not replace the canon IR filter only removed it.

For some reason I tend not to get the colour caste, whether this is due to the fact I use a fair few flats when stacking I don't know, I use sky flats BTW.

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

explains why you may not need extra IR blocking if you use one of the mentioned Canon cameras.

A very interesting point, well it just so happens that I also have the plain CLS filter as well, given some clear skies I will try and do a back to back test to see if there is any difference.

Archived