Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

quiet in here,ok wheres comet 103p hartley?

This was it on Wed night

Have calculated using the Faulkes Telescope, a rotation period of 16 hours, based on some very high resolution jet images close to the nucleus. Toni Scarmato and the CARA team are now cross checking this

post-14410-133877492572_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-16759-133877492762_thumb.jpg

16x60 bins

After carefully checking two star-charts, Stellarium and Calsky, I'm now pretty sure it was comet Hartley2 that I saw.

I had another look at 02:45(BST) this morning, and picked up the comet half way between Capella and Mirphak, and about 1.5 degrees below NGC1545, as indicated by the arrow in the image (The solid line shows the comet's track). Marginally brighter than my previous observation, but still a feint fuzzy. Because of the late hour, and snatching my chances between patchy, fast-moving clouds, I wasn't properly dark adapted, but I reckon I can now chalk this one up as a confirmed observation :D

All I can see is a very feint patch of light, and it wasn't easy to pick out, though others have had better luck. From reading through the thread, it does not show up well in light-polluted skies, so ideally you need to be observing from a good, dark site. To maximise your chances of seeing it you should wait until the early morning hours, after the moon has set, and when the comet is closer to the zenith. I've just had another go at observing it, but failed to see anything. Good luck Sarah.

Archived