SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

quiet in here,ok wheres comet 103p hartley?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Hm...still no one ?

Just got back inside: Seen 103p in both 20x80s (biiiig) and 10x50s (easy, bright with large coma)

Quite some fluffy cloud :o should be an easy target for all bins >10x mag.

Didn´t try the 8x56s tonight...

Go get it :)

Well, when we had a clear night here (very clear indeed by London standards) a couple of days ago I tried to spot it in my 11x80 bins but could see absolutely nothing. M31 was bright as anything, but no comet.

It must have gotten a lot brighter then, the last time I saw it was a few weeks ago through an 18" Obsession at a dark sky site, and it wasn't much more than a smudge on the eyepiece :o

Its a lovely clear night here in North East Lincolshire, UK and hardly any dew for a change. Saw Comet Hartley 2 quite clearly in the 25 x 100 bins but it is faint and diffuse. It's exactly where this months Sky at Night magazine said it would be heading from the right of delta Cassiopeia (Ruchbah) towards the right of the double cluster in Perseus. It will sail passed the double cluster over the next couple of nights. It is near zenith now (about 80 degrees Alt.) so quite difficult to observe with bins on a tripod. Also picked it up with the scope but that didn't give much more detail.

I've been looking for it but not been able to get a good look at it yet. My bins probably aren't quite good enough (10x40) and I do have a lot of light polution here.

I've just spent some time adding 103P-Hartley to Stellarium and it's saying that the comet should be quite close to Eta Persei tonight (That's assuming my scripting was correct)

Visually, Comet 103P-Hartley is a large, diffuse, low-surface-brightness object. If your sky background is bright, you will find it very difficult. From a dark site it is easy in 10x42B, and should therefore be OK in your 10x40B but, if as you say, you have a lot of light pollution, you will probably need to find a darker site.

Glad it's not just me! Lovely looking (w. 10x70s) at the double cluster, M31 easily found, but no comet -- well probably too much light round here. I'll perhaps drive out somewhere darker tomorrow, but I was up at 4 am to take sgnificant other to the airport, so tonight's a non-starter. Goodnight everyone. zzzzzzzzzzzz

not looked for a couple of days but enjoyed this at a dark site recently. it was far better in my 15x70s than my 12" dob. I also located it at home. I think a good test is that if you can see Triangulum Galaxy (M33) then you will be able to see Hartley as it's just a little brighter (or was last time I looked). It's also about the same size (well, I mean of course as big to our eyes!).

I think I've just caught it between the clouds. Just above and slightly east of NGC1528 (from Stellarium), but very feint from the back yard, and about the same magnitude and similar size as NGC1528 (mag 6.4) :D

I think i saw it up and to the right of NGC1528 on the night of the 13th. Unfortunately it wasn't clear last night so i couldn't confirm if it had moved enough to be sure. Definately in the right area though..

Archived