Narrowband

Skywatcher Coma Corrector - or not?

I'm considering (come pay-day) getting myself a SW coma corrector to improve my imaging, but I'm confused about whether it will fit...

I use a Nikon D70 and even with my 150PDS, to achieve focus I need to attach the camera directly to the focuser (no EP holder).

In other words, I have Camera | T-Ring | Focuser adapter | Focuser. I'm left with about 1cm of inward travel left (maybe 1.5). I think I got the "focuser adapter" by unscrewing the front of the 2" EP holder.

So, my question is - where would the corrector fit in? Looking at the picture, it seems to fit into the 2" EP holder? But by putting the holder back on, I don't think I'll be able to focus...

The DS focuser already comes with the ring included with the Skywatcher coma corrector, so you're all set there - it's needed for the singlespeed focusers (e.g. my 200p) as the clear aperture is very slightly less than 2" and so the coma corrector won't fit!

You would need one of these

Adaptors - Skywatcher DSLR-M48 Ring Adapter

as the coma corrector thread is M48 and not the normal T-thread fit. Can't try it all out for you, i'm afraid, as I don't have a DSLR...

Excellent, thanks for the help. The corrector is definitely on my shopping list then!

One more question if you don't mind... What is the M48 thread exactly? Is that different to a 2" filter thread? If so, is there still scope for adding an LP filter in at some stage?

Thanks,

Lewis

Archived