10:1 focusser

Does anyone have an opinion on the benefits of a 10:1 focusser for use with an 8 inch dob (or similar). When I use an EP of 10mm or less I find focussing to be quite tricky using the single speed focusser fitted as standard on my SW 200P dob. I am wondering whether a swap to a moonlite or similar focusser with 10:1 drive would be an improvement?

I am visual only and love the Skywatcher one on my large dob. As soon as funds allow I'll be replacing the single speed crayford on my other dob. I am not an imager but suspect that the Moonlite ones, whilst no doubt superb, are more justified for imaging. the rough focus is no doubt smoother on the Moonlite than the SW or similar versions but the 10:1 on the SW ones is silky smooth and I'd find it hard to believe it so much better for visual on a Moonlite. I'd buy a SW and some more eyepieces etc for the same money if were you.

There's a straight replacement now for the SW scopes Skywatcher Dual Speed 2” Crayford Focuser | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

not used this one but assume it's as good as the others.

I have a Moonlite CR2 10:1 on my 10" dob and am very happy with it. Despite the cost I went for the Moonlite because I needed the focuser tube to be long enough to get all my ep's to come to focus without requiring an extension tube. I bought it from FLO and Steve was very helpful, I provided him with a measurement for the max in focus and max out focus and he sorted out the necessary spacers I would require. It works like a dream.

P.s black is the only colour to get :blob10:

Must say im very pleased with my MoonLite CR2 on my 200P. Very nice build quality and very smooth action - even though I also have to say that the standard SkyWatcher focuser wasn't that bad at all! It was expensive, no doubt about it, but I think the MoonLite will be on the scope for a long time!! Yep, mine is black too! And also supplied by the nice chaps at FLO.

As usual Astrobaby has a good review of the MoonLite CR2 on her own 200P, well worth a read.

Doc

I revisited FLO's website for another look at the moonlite and you are right, black is the only colour. Time for a phone call methinks. Does anyone have any thoughts on the drawtube travel distance, is 50mm standard the way to go? My SW focusser only has 40mm as it is.

I revisited FLO's website for another look at the moonlite and you are right, black is the only colour. Time for a phone call methinks. Does anyone have any thoughts on the drawtube travel distance, is 50mm standard the way to go? My SW focusser only has 40mm as it is.

It all depends on how much in and out focus your ep's require. You'll need to measure from the side of the telescope tube to the base of the ep where it sits in the focuser draw tube for each of your ep's. The key measurements are the shortest and longest.

I have the 50mm draw tube but with two spacers between the focuser and the scope body. If you are going to place an order don't do it on the FLO web site ring them up you'll be sure that it will work for you then.

Decision time. Having now played with other people's focusser set-ups its going to be a SW powered focusser to avoid contact with the OTA during focussing. The problem isn't precision, its vibration. The powered focusser I have seen runs very slowly in slow mode so focussing precision is achieveable without vibration using the standard SW focusser. Thanks for all the advice and comments, much appreciated.

Archived