Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher auto/goto dob stability

I've been tempted at various times to either upgrade my dob to put auto tracking on, or go all the way to the new goto's. Still undecided, but I've picked up one or two threads that seem to suggest that at least the auto's have a problem with stability if you start putting heavy eyepieces in. All my eyepieces are pretty weighty, and my current manual dob copes very well with the tension control handle. Any views from those who own any of these scopes?

On my 300p auto I find that there is about 2 deg. of slop - ie you could manually move the scope up to 2 deg. and it would move back to the original position. However, if you move it past that point manually (it doesn't seem to be an issue when you use the handset) then I find that it holds it position really well when swapping between lightweight and heavy weight eyepieces.

Archived