Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M13 - Great Cluster in Hercules

simon84

Another image from the four clear nights I managed to get. Not bad going for my first imaging sessions proper.

This is made up from 87 x 60s subs. I actually pulled the plug on this one due to one of the subs looking out of focus. It happened every 2 or 3 images, I'm guessing here but that sounds like seeing to me.

Imaged on my EOS 1000D and Equinox 120 unguided on the NEQ6 and stacked in DSS and processed in PS.

I really do like the crop, it looks like bubbles.

slysi84-albums-dso-picture6478-m13-stacked-dss-processed-ps.jpg

And here is a crop of M13 up close.

slysi84-albums-dso-picture6479-m13-1200x1200-crop.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope you like, any comments on the processing etc always gratefully received.

Cheers :blob10:

Hi!

Good effort!

I prefer the wide field version, as the stars shapes look better .-)

There has been a large number of posts in this thread for the last couple of days. Probably because of good weather. Don't be discouraged if you don't hear anything! :blob10: If you have specific questions people also respond very quickly!

You might want to consider taking some of the images out of your stack, if you didn't already do so. Removing 1/3 of your images doesn't affect quality that much when you have so many. Your crop shows that there is something wrong with some of the images.

I can see that you have some light pollution where you live by the noise in the red channel. I recently invested in an Astronomik CLS filter that helps a LOT. You probably should be guiding before using it, as it as rather "agressive" Takes a out some light...

Your gear has a LOT of potential. Keep posting your results!

Thanks for that. I have just restacked the image in DSS with the image quality set to 50%

There were alot of images out of focus in the stack and where I had left it set at 80% some of those were probably included. I should probably go in and manually remove the chaff but was being lazy.

I'll get the new one up as soon as I've processed it.

Cheers :blob10:

Certainly not rubbish, in fact it's a very good example, and encouragement to those without guiding facilities.

The first Image is very nice, the second one probably is highlighting the slight trailing that ensues from unguided subs.

Making Images large, does not necessarily make them better.

On the other hand, for some it does.:blob10:.

Ron.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I only cropped it because I thought it looked interesting.

I have an idea on being able to increase the size of the image so that the object would have the same level of detail and fov as a CCD image. It might work, it might not but I really need to sort out the trailing and get alot more data.

I like the fov of the dslr as its nice to see the objects in and amongst the stars around it. I understand I'll never image the objects to the same level as a ccd camera with regards to fov but if my idea works it might be a start.

I've still alot to learn about processing and currently my workflow, is setting the white balance, then stretching the image, then neutralising the background and removing the gradience and then setting the black point. The any final touching up. Its a borrowed workflow from a book on dslr astro imaging but its getting my images to what they are.

Its all good fun though and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Your star trailing is nicely orientated top to bottom and ripe for Jordan's (JCJC's) Photoshop trick as outlined in the imaging tips and techniques section. If you don't find it PM me and I'll run through it. I think it would work a treat and really delight you!

Olly

Well I restacked the image and only allowed 50% of the total images through. Then reworked in PS and applied the startrail tip.

Looks so much nicer this time. Deffinitley will be going back to M13 one night and getting alot more data and a variety of sub lengths.

Cheers for all your help and advice on this one.

Edit: This crop is to just highlight the startrail fix, I do much prefer the widefield version.

slysi84-albums-dso-picture6520-m13-restacked-psd-using-offset-filter-tweak-startrails.jpg

Thanks Russ and Pete, yes Martin did do a nice job of cleaning it up.

I will be autoguiding as of the next time out there. My wife just treated me to a QHY5 and a 50mm finderscope that has been modified for the camera, which also came with set of guidescope rings so I'm hoping now that I can get both the 1000D's working on the 66 and 120 Apo's with this new finder/guider doing all the hard work keeping it where it should be.

Thanks Karlo, shouldnt be too long, weather permitting. I got that QHY5 today that I mentioned to you so it wont be too long before I'm out there getting longer subs.

Cheers Daz, hope to see some of yours soon. Good luck with it.

Well pleased with what I've managed to produce so far.

Archived