Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's colder than cold?

Luke

-30C in Moscow last December, but it was dry so not too bad. A few days later I was in St Petersburg in -25C...being by the water it was more humid, and windy too, and I thought I was going to break into small bits and shatter onto the ground!!

Cheers

Rob

Don't know exactly what the coldest is but here in Ukraine the winters frequently get to -30 sometimes even colder. You do get pretty used to it after a while though. We often do some observing in the winter but perhaps not when it is quite that cold and not for as long as usual.

The coldest temp i ever experienced was -40C with a wind chill of -51C, but my coldest observing session was an hour-long Aurora shoot at -26C. The second roll of film shattered in the camera when i tried to advance it too quickly. :hello2:

The next-coldest session was six hours at the Starpad when it was -11C. There was a big winter storm coming the next day, so it was the last one (Starpad session) of the season. The LX-10's tracking motor got sluggish and finally quit, as did the clock drive. But i merely re-calibrated the RA circle on the target before moving on to the next one, just like i'd learned to do with the ETX 90RA. :)

P.S. It was a frosty -3C when i left the Starpad on Sunday morning at 4:00am. .. M42 was absolutely magnificent! :blob10:

I lived in Brandon, Manitoba for a year, and I used to walk 25 minutes to work early every morning. In January and early February, the average temperature for my walk was something like -22C, and I walked quite a number of times when the temperature was in the -30s (without windchill).

I'm sure this winter just gone I was out in about -10C. It's always my feet that suffer the most. However, at least when it's cold you can add more layers (up to a point), when it's hot there's only so many clothes you can take off before being arrested......and it's just hit 40C here in Japan today :):blob8:. Even the locals are sweating :blob10: (although I've not been arrested yet! :hello2:).

The coldest I've been was a few years ago when I visited the Netherlands. I was dressed in a fleece with a light rain proof outer, fine for the temperatures I'd seen on the forecast, 5-6°C. Imagine the shock I got when I got off the plane to find it was -17°C...!

It was a lovely sunny day but the maximum was around -5°C and I was absolutely frozen stiff.

I got caught up in unexpected heavy snow in France a few years back (about 1/2 a metre in a couple of hours). They shut the motorway so I headed across country for about 100km before eventually putting my car in a ditch about 10km before my destination at 2 am. Slept in the car at -10°C for a few hours until the Pompiers came past and gave me a lift at around 6 am.

Power was off and phones down in my village for about 3 days so skies were even darker than usual. The house took a week to warm up with the wood burner and gas heater blazing away constantly. The wife wasn't very happy that it took me 3 days to call her to say I'd arrived.

The worst thing was the only hire car within a 2 hour radius was a Toyota Aygo - not ideal for the 550 mile trip back up to Calais.

I have a feeling next year during SGL6 it'll be pretty cold.

Eeek in March, isn't it? I think you could be right!!

The last couple of years we've been in our trusty Campervan however, its being sold at the moment and we now have a tent instead so its definately gonna make a diference to us, I think i might need to bring a couple of heater and lots of blankets.

cheers

Neil

-20 something on night-shift in a rig moonpool for what felt like hours because none of my mates would come and relieve me - "just a bit longer mate" :blob10:

Up off of the top end of Norway above Hammerfest :hello2:

Never even saw the 'aurora borealis' :) which, by the way, was, looking back, the only reason I agreed to go as far as I can remember. It certainly wasn't the money!

Archived