SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Jupiter ever

Gadget

hi

Got my webcam up and working ok and managed to get this which im quite pleased with for my first go but would really like some advice

I used registax 5 but didn’t really have a clue so just used all the default and auto settings to get me through is there anything on there that I should really be changing from default/auto etc to give me a few more options etc they may allow me to bring out better detail etc

Any advice no matter how small would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Kevin

post-16611-133877478405_thumb.jpg

Second one looks like you've gone too far up with the wavelets, the first one will improve a LOT if on the wavelets page you tamper with the contrast and brightness setting and on the final tab, ramp up the saturation a little. it's obvious that your capture has caught quite a bit of detail but your processing needs a little practice, that's potentially a 'good un' for a webcam shot.

First image is excellent with lots of detail, how long was the capture as if it is too long you will get smudging as Jupiter rotates quickly.

John.

Thanks John

I think it was only about 45s at 15fps but as TopHouse said i need to sort the processing side out and i was also using a 3x barlow which i think maybe to much beans i need to get a 2x as well i think

Thanks

Kevin

IMHO the first image is way better.

That's a cracking Jupiter image - full stop. For a first try it's outstanding. I think the 3 x barlow is just fine.

If you want to enhance it a bit, I'd darken the background and increase the contrast a bit. If you don't mind I've had a little play with it and come up with this.

In photoshop, I

- darken the background ('levels' command)

- Increased the colour saturation a bit

- Shifted to colour balance to make it slightly less blue

All three of these function can be carried out in Registax, although they have different names.

In Registax 5, I used RGB align tool to get rid of the red fringe (bottom) and blue fringe (top)

post-13232-133877479691_thumb.jpg

when capturing images i find that 5 fps or 10 maximum is the best, if you go more the data gets compressed using the usb lead also the image can get darker,

so try 5 first,

when you`ve loaded the image data select a good shot by clicking on each until one looks the best,

also set to 85% maximum as you don`t need the rubbish shots and don`t forget to limit the amount,

great first try though, alot better than my first effort,

well done.

also think theres a sticky somewhere on here about using webcams for imaging

IMHO the first image is way better.

That's a cracking Jupiter image - full stop. For a first try it's outstanding. I think the 3 x barlow is just fine.

If you want to enhance it a bit, I'd darken the background and increase the contrast a bit. If you don't mind I've had a little play with it and come up with this.

In photoshop, I

- darken the background ('levels' command)

- Increased the colour saturation a bit

- Shifted to colour balance to make it slightly less blue

All three of these function can be carried out in Registax, although they have different names.

In Registax 5, I used RGB align tool to get rid of the red fringe (bottom) and blue fringe (top)

Thanks Michael

That looks much better

I do like the image size the 3x barlow give's so once I have got a little better with the capture setting and processing side I may be able to get more detail to show

I did another try without out the barlow which I also posted and that although much smaller was much better

Thanks

Kevin

when capturing images i find that 5 fps or 10 maximum is the best, if you go more the data gets compressed using the usb lead also the image can get darker,

so try 5 first,

when you`ve loaded the image data select a good shot by clicking on each until one looks the best,

also set to 85% maximum as you don`t need the rubbish shots and don`t forget to limit the amount,

great first try though, alot better than my first effort,

well done.

also think theres a sticky somewhere on here about using webcams for imaging

Thx Red dwalf

I since read somewhere on net that 5/10 fps is best for capturing more detail so I shall try that next time and im also finding my way around the registax a bit more now so hopefully should have a little better result next time

I do love trying the imaging but its really eating up all my visual time :blob10:

Thanks

Kevin

With an SPC900 you want to be looking at keeping same barlow in, run at 10 FPS, alter shutter speed and gain (leave gamma and brightness alone!) until you get a fair image, concentrate on focus, I mean REALLY be fussy about focus, then run for approx 90 seconds or 1000 frames. Then play with the registax.

With an SPC900 you want to be looking at keeping same barlow in, run at 10 FPS, alter shutter speed and gain (leave gamma and brightness alone!) until you get a fair image, concentrate on focus, I mean REALLY be fussy about focus, then run for approx 90 seconds or 1000 frames. Then play with the registax.

Thx TopHouse

I shall try all that next time im out

Very helpfull thx

Kevin

Very good first shot. Lots of great detail in there. Cheers for sharing it with us.

Thx TheThing

Archived