SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter and Uranus - 3rd Sept

Andrew*

Had a lovely time last night viewing the two planets.

Jupiter had the GRS just coming into view, which was lovely to see properly for the first time. I made a rough sketch, but even over just 15 minutes the features were rotating quite a bit. Observed at 182x and 260x at 11.45pm.

Uranus didn't show any disc detail, and no moons were readily visible. The faintest star I recorded was mag. 14.4 and the faintest moon was that bit closer to the bright planet and mag. 14.7. However, I did perhaps get a hint of Oberon/Titania (they were very close together). Colour of the disc was pale blue, with a hint of green. Sorry about the writing on the on the reverse of the page, which for some reason is showing through.

Cheers

Andrew

post-13113-133877478212_thumb.jpg

post-13113-13387747822_thumb.jpg

I like to look at charts/images to see how accurate I've been.

Here's some comparisons. Thanks to resonator77 for use of his excellent Jupiter and to calsky.

I'm really pleased with the stars placement on the Uranus sketch, but the faintest star I recorded is stated as either mag. 18 or 17.1 which seems a little far-fetched, but on the other hand I don't htink I imagined it:icon_scratch:

Andrew

post-13113-133877478252_thumb.jpg

post-13113-133877478257_thumb.jpg

Nice one Andrew. Fantastic that you've got a photo image to compare against taken at the same time. When I've sketched Jup I always have a trawl through the planetary image section to see if I can find an image taken at the same time. I've not been very fortunate on that score so far this year, but you've hit the jackpot there :o

Had a lovely time last night viewing the two planets.

Jupiter had the GRS just coming into view, which was lovely to see properly for the first time. I made a rough sketch, but even over just 15 minutes the features were rotating quite a bit. Observed at 182x and 260x at 11.45pm.

Uranus didn't show any disc detail, and no moons were readily visible. The faintest star I recorded was mag. 14.4 and the faintest moon was that bit closer to the bright planet and mag. 14.7. However, I did perhaps get a hint of Oberon/Titania (they were very close together). Colour of the disc was pale blue, with a hint of green. Sorry about the writing on the on the reverse of the page, which for some reason is showing through.

Cheers

Andrew

Great picture. What scope? The 16"?

I made a drawing of Jupiter at 00:30 am 03-09-10 too using my SW 127Mak with Baader ortho' 7mm:

post-18179-133877478454_thumb.jpg

Archived