Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Sam

....in a galaxy far far away...

30 million light years away is this big spiral galaxy. It sits just to the left of the constellation Pavo and is very well placed for imaging from my place at the moment. I collected a couple of hours about 2 months ago and got another 3 hours last night, ending up with a total of 5hrs 6mins (51 X 360secs). It was shot at ISO 400 using:

SW 250px on a EQ6 with an ST80 piggy backed at the guide scope.

Canon 1000D (modded) and a QHY5 quide camera

Software included Guidemaster for drift aligning, PHD for Guiding, EQMOD for driving the scope, DSS for stacking, PixInsight 1.6 for processing

lightbucket-albums-lightbucket-s-best-pics-picture6424-ngc-6744-taken-2-sep-10.jpg

Sam

Edited by Sam

Truly astounding, especially when you think those photons began their journey 30 million years ago.

Lovely galaxy. Thanks for sharing. Seems to have a bar at the center. It seems to be closer than the stars shining through it even though I know the galaxy is so much further away than the stars.

What is the glow of to the right and at the top. Is it a stray part of the galaxy or another galaxy further away?

Mark

That`s a great image. Looking 30 million years into the past, incredible.

Thanks for the comments. The glow up in the corner is another galaxy (I think). There's also an unusual blue star in the lower left close to the double.:o

Fantastic image Sam... but what galaxy is it??

LOL - good point! I can't believe I forgot to put the name in!! it's NGC 6744:)